Internal HD advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ants42, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Ants42 macrumors newbie

Hi, My last upgrade (RAM) was a breeze thanks to Macrumors users. I want to ask anyone about upgrading my default 160GB internal hard drive.

I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro and want a 500GB internal hard drive.

I've found a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB Sata 8MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive OEM for £44.09.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Dig...ternal/dp/B003SLE8II/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is this a good, appropriate, compatible hard drive? The Scorpio Back is an extra tenner, should I consider this? Will either hard drive make a noticeable difference (sound, heat etc.) to my current default hard drive? Is this a good price?

My next question - how do you move all your files, folders, apps - everything - to the new hard drive, exactly as it is now? I back-up my OSX partition to a WD 320GB external USB hard drive using Time Machine. The external is partitioned to allow for files to be stored alongside my Time Machine back-up. I also have a Windows partition I'd like to copy over, but don't have it backed up as I'm not sure how to.

So, could anyone help?

Note: Sorry I'm probably repeating topics, I've tried to read up on all my questions but I'm hoping for clear understandable answers regarding my specific Mac/set-up.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It will work, but no platter-based hard drive is better than any other. Get the drive that has the best warranty and keep backups.

My next question - how do you move all your files, folders, apps - everything - to the new hard drive, exactly as it is now? I back-up my OSX partition to a WD 320GB external USB hard drive using Time Machine.[/quote]

TM should restore everything on the OS X side to the new drive as it is on your current drive.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I would use this drive...

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-2-5-Inch-Internal-Notebook/dp/B002BH4PP6

The drive is faster and it would be a noticeable performance improvement. I'm sure you can find a UK source that has them. They are really popular for MacBook upgrades.

When I've done the install myself I've used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the internal drive to the new HDD. But I'm not sure how you would go about copying the Windows partition. I'm sure someone will come along with a better answer.