Internal HD configuration recommendation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scouser75, Jan 21, 2011.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Guys, is there a recommended configuration to install internal HD's on an octo Mac Pro?

Currently I have a 650GB, which I use as a boot drive. I also have a 1TB, which I use as a Media drive to store my video work and also personal docs and music.

I now have another 2TB drive which I'd like to add as another media drive to store more of my video work (using FCP).

I don't wish to Raid the drives - unless there is a benefit to be had from it for my video work.

Thanks

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

How important is the video work being protected? RAID may not be a bad idea if you have enough hard drive room, and while it doesn't protect against anything, it greatly reduces the chances of data loss (and depending on which RAID config, it seems it can reduce some 'data corruption' as well).

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, the main question is, what do you want? Since your HDs aren't the same capacity, don't even think about RAID. If you had two 1TBs or 2TBs, then you could put them in RAID 0 to improve the performance. You could put the 1TB and 2TB in JBOD so OS would see them as one 3TB drive but it just makes things cleaner, it doesn't have any other pros, I think.

I would just keep them as they are. However, you MUST have a backup

4. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies guys.

:lol: I totally forgot about the inconsistent numbers of GB I have :rolleyes:

As for back-up... that's next on my list of things to do :)

I'm going to go for a 4TB WD external HD and back up everything.