Internal HD for my MacPro to install XP on

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kevinoneill, Jun 24, 2007.

1. kevinoneill macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one :eek:

I'm looking to purchase a 2nd internal HD for my mac pro (purchased in January '07) that I will be using Bootbcamp to install XP when Leopard arrives (or shortly there after).

Can anyone suggest some HD's for me? what to look for? what to stay away from? I would be looking for one around the 250GB range. I don't think I'll find any much smaller, and won't be needing anything terrible bigger, unless the price increase justifies it.

Cheers.
    Kevin.

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I prefer Seagate and Hitachi drives but that's a personal preference. Our daughter has a MacPro with the stock 250 and one each Maxtor 80GB and 100GB which I had laying about. She has OS X on the main drive with XP on the 80GB and Vista on the 100GB.

I've also used Samsung drives with good success.

Cheers,

3. kevinoneill thread starter macrumors newbie

Awsome, I was wondering about the XP AND Vista thing. I wanted to wait until Leopard came out, rather than using the BootCamp beta.

What's your feelings on waiting for Leopard? would it really matter?

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The only issue with have two Windows installs is that I get confused as to which is XP and which is Vista when I hold down option since they both show up as "Windows". Just need to remember the drive order. :)

As to Leopard, since you already own the MP I would go ahead and use Bootcamp's BETA. I'm sure Leopard will just upgrade it when you install it.

Go luck, and let me know if you even figure out the multiple Windows labels.

Cheers,

5. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Which HDD? Well the 320gb ones seem to be the best value at the moment. But the 400/500gb drives are catching up. I wouldn't get a 250gb drive, you can never have too much space. Imagine if you're trying to store a few 20gb bluray movies or disc images on the drive in a few years. You'll run out of space.

6. kevinoneill thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all your help guys. I think i'll go ahead and go with the Beta Bootcamp soon, and grab a 320 Gig. Only big buy really is XP itself. Which i do intend on BUYING. haha :eek:

have it ready for the time grad. school kicks up.

7. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Check out FRYS....
    2 weeks ago I bought 2 400gig Seagates for $79 each.... this week they had the Seagate 500gig for $99

8. kevinoneill thread starter macrumors newbie

I jus installed the WD HD, it says it does not recognize the HD, and asks me to ignore, eject, or initialize. I let it sit for a moment cleaning up packages the HD came in. And it just went away, so I assume that means "ignore"

Should I initialize it? or just wait to see what Bootcamp says to do? if anything?

9. kevinoneill thread starter macrumors newbie

actually i think boot camp assist. will partition/initialize it for me...

10. kevinoneill thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed XP last night. Smooth sailing. I could of bought an OEM Hard drive and been just fine, the Mac Pro has everything needed. Bootcamp will initialize the HD for you, boot camp will do everything that needs to be done. Driver CD worked with no hitches. Perfect.

Just remember to install on the C drive if you installed another internal. Follow the directions they tell you to print out and your golden.

Thank you all!!!