Internal HD is finally full, how should I set up external storage?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rjbenson83, Jun 22, 2014.

1. rjbenson83 macrumors regular

Should I use a portable hard drive or raid box to place media files on and share it between my rMBP and nMP

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Lots of options and the best depends on the way you work. If you need lots of storage either a NAS on your LAN or a storage system attached to the nMP would work well. You could run the server app on the nMP to share it's storage.

When working with multiple machines a server or NAS is the preferred way to go.

3. rjbenson83 thread starter macrumors regular

I just have two machines that I'd like to connect and share the photo's.

Ideally I'd like to store the photo's in the same place and have access to them from both machines (wirelessly for the laptop and hardwired to the desktop would be preferable.)

It would need to be fast enough to where I could run aperture/light room/capture one or photoshop without lag when navigating or working on photo's.

Would a two drive solution like the Lacie 2 Big or G-Tech G-raid studio be good enough? Or should I look into the 4-5 drive solutions where I could run a raid 5 and have back ups as well as speed on one device, or should I just go with a drobo and forget about it(seems like the slowest option)