Internal HDD disconnected and won't reconnect - is it dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phybron, Jan 26, 2016.

1. phybron macrumors newbie

I was playing music which is stored on a two-drive RAID setup in my Mac Pro. The music stopped and I got a drive disconnected incorrectly notification. The drive has disappeared from Finder and Disk Utility.

I pulled both drives that make up the RAID disk and tested them with an external drive cradle. One appears in Disk Utility, the other doesn't. It's not making any weird noises and it does spin up when put in the cradle.

Both drives are 2TB Seagates and are about eight years old. I'm presuming one has died.

Is there anything else I should do to check?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

If you have windows machine or access to one download the Seatools from Seagate boot with the dvd/cd you make from it and run the test.

3. phybron thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Windows machine, but I don't have a DVD-R. Can you boot it from a USB?

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

No clue check it on their information page to find out. I do know the last time I needed during the 7200.11 fiasco where the drives were dropping like flies I made dvd for it perhaps a restore of the iso to usb will work.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

You can check the drive health with a LinuxLive boot disc. Yes that's instructions for a bootable CD, but you can make a LinuxLive USB thumbdrive, boot, and the rest of the instructions will be the same.

I'm guessing this was a mirrored RAID? If so, you are in a good place because all of your data is intact on the other drive (might want to back it up!). If it was striped, I don't understand how a single drive is working.

6. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

The normal Ubuntu desktop download is a bootable Linux - just download and burn it to a DVD and boot. (Or follow a couple of simple steps to put it on a thumb drive.)