Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fleawannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
My MBP has a 500GB right now and I would like to do a 1TB 5400 HDD. I will go to SSD and do the data doubler when the prices come down but for now I need some more room. I do not know what is faster when it comes to these HDDs, like 6gb/3gb, SATA II/III, etc. I'm not interested in a 7200 because of battery performance and not a significantly difference. Any input would be great.

Thanks! :D

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
My MBP has a 500GB right now and I would like to do a 1TB 5400 HDD. I will go to SSD and do the data doubler when the prices come down but for now I need some more room. I do not know what is faster when it comes to these HDDs, like 6gb/3gb, SATA II/III, etc. I'm not interested in a 7200 because of battery performance and not a significantly difference. Any input would be great.

Thanks! :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152291

i have this in mine and have no complaints

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Thanks, I was actually looking at one, but it has some bad reviews but also some good ones, sigh.

What about this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+Sc...25101&id=1218463887429#tabbed-customerreviews

I just bought and installed this drive. It replaced my secondary 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid, I have a 256GB SSD for my boot drive. Anyway, I probably won't notice any speed difference since its just for media storage. However, I did do a lot of research and this one has a lot of good reviews when googled.

Model numbers for this can be confusing but I know BB sells the most current one. There's an older version that's 5200 RPM that's still being sold as well.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
sata 3 or 6 gigabits per second is faster than sata 2, 3 gigabits per second. its the interface controller on the hard drive that allows it to communicate at the said data bandwidth with the computer's sata controller. but a mechanical hard drive will never touch that speed. an ssd today can barely touch that.

if i'm not mistaken sata 3 max out around 750 megabyte per second. and no single ssd have touch that.

you will not notice much speed difference between a 7200rpm 500gb hdd and a 5400rpm 1tb hdd, because the 1tb bladder is higher density and the head doesn't have to move as far to get the same amount of data.

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
If you want to go 750 GB, there's also the Momentus XT. Not sure if you'd want to do that though because it's a 7200 RPM drive, but it has a flash memory cache so you get pretty good performance (sometimes SSD like) and still have a lot of storage.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I prefer to buy from a local store if I can though, even if I spend a little more. It is just easy if there are any problems.

Amazon has a fantastic return policy. I guess I should mention that I hate best buy, but that's just me. Do you live near a Fry's? They've got good deals from time to time as well.

fleawannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Amazon has a fantastic return policy. I guess I should mention that I hate best buy, but that's just me. Do you live near a Fry's? They've got good deals from time to time as well.

Nope, never heard of or seen a Frys, I may just go with the Samsung on Newegg. Thanks for the help everyone!

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I used the 1TB samsung for about 12 months in a early 2011 15" MBP. The stock 750GB 5400rpm drive was much faster (installed in early 2011 13"). With 4Gb of RAM and the samsung I was getting a significant amount of beach-balling. Installing 8GB of RAM helped a bit and now with a Samsung 830 I can't remember when I last saw a beach ball. This thing flies now.

fleawannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I used the 1TB samsung for about 12 months in a early 2011 15" MBP. The stock 750GB 5400rpm drive was much faster (installed in early 2011 13"). With 4Gb of RAM and the samsung I was getting a significant amount of beach-balling. Installing 8GB of RAM helped a bit and now with a Samsung 830 I can't remember when I last saw a beach ball. This thing flies now.

Maybe I'll go with the WD then haha.

fleawannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I really dont prefer you putting an OS onto the Spinpoint.
Its good for storage but not for running OS.

Thats why I have the M4 and Spinpoint in my optibay.

I want to do the optibay eventually but now I just want a bigger HDD. What do you mean by Spinpoint?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I agree with the Spinpoint - have heard great reviews on that drive and it seems to fit exactly what you are looking for in terms of capacity and speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.