Internal HDD installation on Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Keeko ca, May 28, 2007.

1. Keeko ca macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just bought a second internal Hard Drive for my Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5 machine. Simply for storage, so no system apps are going to run off it. I've researched enough, can't seem to find an answer in writing. Hopefully this is a simple question to answer...

Basically the HDD is a Seagate Baracuda SATA drive. You know how the old IDE drives came with a jumper pin that you can switch from Master to Slave? Well, it appears SATA drives have an option of 1.5GB/s or 3GB/s instead. (News to me! A personal first internal SATA install!) I certainly know what that means, just curious if I want the jumper capping my speed at 1.5GB/s on this specific older Mac model or if I should simply open it up to 3GB/s.

For the time being, I've left it capped at 1.5GB/s. It makes sense that the system BUS would be the definitive capper of HDD throughput...such is why I'm asking if there's any benefit of opening it up, or leaving it capped.

Thx!

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I have the same system. The SATA bus is 1.5. It can't drive a 3.0 disk. Leave it capped at 1.5.

BTW, it's 1.5 Gb/s not 1.5 GB/s.

3. Keeko ca thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Thanks. I thought that was the case.

Question answered!

(Gb vs GB...gotcha! :p )