Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Does anyone know if the 500GB Hitachi Travelstar 5K500.B 5400RPM 9.5mm 2.5" SATA HD will work in my 2.16GHz black MacBook MB063LL/A? Does anyone know of any better hard drive upgrades? Thanks guys!

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
Not necessarily a 'need'...more of a luxury. 5400 comes stock and works great. But while some argue about the heat generated from a 7200 would (in theory) be greater because it moves faster (thus using up more battery life), I find that a 7200 is more efficient and processes things quicker, which means it doesn't have to work as hard to do the same amount of work (which offsets the speed, maintaining the battery charge) . Some people can notice the difference, others can't. If you're just using your computer to listen to music i'd say the 5400 would be ok. (then again, i'd say just having an ipod would be ok too) But if you plan to use your computer for anything that involves processing information (burning dvds, transferring data, etc) I'd say the performance benefit of the 7200 is worth the extra $50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.