Internal IP address changes after restart/reset from cable internet

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Fwink!, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Fwink! macrumors member

Ho, I'm wondering if there's a fix for this problem I have discovered. After resetting my cable modem and/or restarting the internal machine address for web-sharing changes - which messes up my self served Worpress/drupal, etc set-ups.

is there a way to make the machine always assign itself the same internal ip?
    I tried linking via localhost, but that didn't work.

What's happening is that the CMS are losing connection to mysql locally - I think due to the internal ip address changing

Anyone?

More info - I was able to delete the tables form the mysql database, and then reinstall wordpress, but that's a pain to have to do that all the time. Using phpmyadmin to manage mysql. I haven't been able to track anything down as far as forcing a specific internal ip after a restart. Or do I need to install the cms' i'm using going thru local host or 127... to keep them working?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Whatever DHCP server is issuing the local IP needs a reservation put on it so that it always assigns your web host computer the same IP. This is normally done by MAC address.

3. Fwink! thread starter macrumors member

I think I do have both of the cpus on my network reserved. But I'll double check it. Is there anything I can do In php admin to fix the problem after the fact? The databases are set up with local host permissions.

thanks for the help