Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderbird 1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Poole, UK
Hi all

I have a shiny new iPhone 6 64gb. Looking at the battery indicator, it appears that my current internal memory is just 51gb so I've somehow used up 13gb already. I have 538 songs on the phone so even assuming an average of 5mb per song that's just 2.7gb so I can't understand where the rest of the memory has gone. I haven't taken any pictures.

Also I'm curious to know how the music got onto my phone in the first place. I haven't hooked my phone up to the Mac yet and I'm not using the Cloud (as far as I know). So how did my iTunes get transferred across to the phone?

Finally, can anyone tell me where I can find the downloads folder. I have downloaded two podcasts from BBC iPlayer (20mb each) but can't find them.

Thanks again everyone.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
I have 263 songs and that's 2.4GB, so you're looking at about 4.8GB realistically. iCloud automatically downloads any movies too, which you can find in the Videos app

Thunderbird 1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Poole, UK
OK, but even doubling the amount of space used by the songs, I'm still 10gb down.

Also, I've tried playing the songs but no joy, they won't play. The albums/artists are all in bold type but the songs are greyed out. Are they actually there? Still not sure how they got there, if they are there.

Phil

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Hi all

I have a shiny new iPhone 6 64gb. Looking at the battery indicator, it appears that my current internal memory is just 51gb so I've somehow used up 13gb already. I have 538 songs on the phone so even assuming an average of 5mb per song that's just 2.7gb so I can't understand where the rest of the memory has gone. I haven't taken any pictures.

Also I'm curious to know how the music got onto my phone in the first place. I haven't hooked my phone up to the Mac yet and I'm not using the Cloud (as far as I know). So how did my iTunes get transferred across to the phone?

Finally, can anyone tell me where I can find the downloads folder. I have downloaded two podcasts from BBC iPlayer (20mb each) but can't find them.

Thanks again everyone.

There is no downloads folder in IOS because there is no user accessible file system. Your dowloaded podcast may be in the Podcasts app or the BBC app.

Rlong405

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Uk
The preinstalled IOS operating system on the phone will take up a fair few gb. the 64gb also comes preinstalled with a few Apple apps including pages, numbers, keynote. They can be deleted if you don't want them.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi all

Thanks again everyone.

The 64GB phone comes with 57GB I believe out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.