Internal mic not picking up guitar well in Garageband?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rims007, Jul 19, 2010.

1. rims007 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently bought a brand new MacBook Pro 13", and have been very frustrated with the quality of the internal mic when I am playing my guitar into it. For about the first 3 seconds of my playing, it sounds ok, then it fades to a point where you can barely hear the guitar. is there some microphone setting I forgot to select? or do I maybe have a bad egg? Lol please help!

Note: Vocals seem to pick up fine on the mic, its only the guitar playing that is of poor quality.

Thanks.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The internal mic isn't really capable of handling that with any quality. You're going to want an external microphone (or if you have a pickup on the guitar, just plug it in) to really pick that up.

jW

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I got a "clip-on" mic with my Korg electronic tuner for tuning my acoustic guitar. That worked well for messing around with my old PC. I imagine it would work with my Mac if I had the right adapter to convert it to a small size plug.

4. Cenobite macrumors newbie

Try turning off "Use ambient noise reduction" in the Sound Preferences under the "Input" tab.