Internal modem sound on Powerbook 1.67 w/tiger Not Working

jrharvey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
Hello,

For some reason my internal modem is not making any sound (dialup handshaking sounds). The modem sound button is *on* - in the network modem preferences settings.

I can still connect to the internet on dial-up so the modem is working.. I just hate it when something is not working even if it doesnt make any difference.

It has worked in the past, but for some reason no longer.

I have had this powerbook for approx 2 weeks -- maybe an update has corrupted a config file somewhere?

i had to trash the help config file for itunes because none of the help links in the itunes help were working, and after i trashed the config file, it rebuilt a new set and now it works... maybe a similar solution to this?

PORSCHER_911

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
Kuwait
Same problem here..

Hi,
I am facing the exact same problem. I've just got my PowerBook G4 a couple of weeks ago and it used to connect with sound just fine then all of a sudden it went silent. It's definitely not that of a big deal but you know how it gets annoying when you expect everything to be perfect with your new device.

I have left some feedback at apple.com about the problem so hopefully it gets solved soon. Let's just hope its a software problem so we can just download some update to get it fixed.

Until then check this apple.com support/discussion thread
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@308.jBVZaSfn0Iz.2@.68b472f0
and leave a tag so they take it for real.

Regards and good luck.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
This is a stupid question but I have to ask it: Do you have the main volume muted? I know that modem sound goes through your PB's speakers so if you mute the sound it mutes the modem sound as well.

PORSCHER_911

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
Kuwait
Same here. Not Muted.

When mine went silent I was playing some music with iTunes. I heard a dial tone then when the number dialed nothing came up (no connection/squeeking sound) but it connected me to the internet just fine.