internal optical drive alignment...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thepawn, Jun 16, 2009.

1. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

Anyone have an easy way to "shim" another optical drive to fit?

I only need one optical drive so I was trying to swap my SuperDrive for my LightScribe DVD burner (its faster and well, Lightscribe), but after mounting it in the mac it seems to be a hairs-breath too "low"... the tray rubs against the bottom of the drive-door opening and gets stuck....the screws don't really have height adjustment...any ideas?

2. thepawn thread starter macrumors 6502

thepawn

haha, yeah, I was considering that, just worried about the teeth for the drive door mechanism.

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

This is win.

BUt back on topic, yeah, that's about the only thing to do. There are some guides floating around that'll help - the front bezel is the problem, right?

4. thepawn thread starter macrumors 6502

thepawn

No, I can remove the bezel, the actual tray itself drags on the bottom of the case-slot.

5. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Cheap solution is to only screw in the front two screws and angle it up a little...

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, Grue (is that from Zork??) is right. He selected the wrong tool though. Use a drill and with a bit the same size as the current holes insert and press upward until the holes are oblong. Then screw in the screws as before but while pressing upward on the drive.