Internal or external ? FCE4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iZiv, May 22, 2008.

1. iZiv macrumors newbie

I have a few questions which all tie together.

First off, I have a 1TB external hard drive which I have partitioned (effectively giving me 500 GB of space) On that same external hard drive, I have almost 500 GB of video giving me very little free space.

I am deathly afraid of losing my videos so I'm curious as to what the best method of backing up my videos would be.

I have a brand new iMac with an internal hard drive of 1TB. My thought was to import all my videos from my external hard drive and put them onto the internal hard drive. After that, I would de-partition my external hard drive.
    From there, I would use my external hard drive as Time Machine thereby effectively backing up not only my computer but the videos as well.

A) Will this work?
    B) Can I edit videos from the external hard drive while it's acting as Time Machine?
    C) Is it a bad thing to edit from the internal hard drive?

I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

A) yes.
    B) You mean share that drive as a scratch disk while a it used as a TM backup? yes, but you will see a performance hit if TM is running while you are doing stuff.
    C) It is not probably not the best way performance wise.

I honestly think you should separate your backup drive from your work drive. I have a couple of externals, one is just for archiving/backing stuff up, while the other is used for editing videos.

3. iZiv thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a tad hesitant to buy something else after buying a computer and external hard drive.

-Would the hit on speed be noticeable?

-Can I set Time Machine to back up at specific times so as to avoid any speed decrease?

-Also, can I pull videos from my external hard drive and then save them to the internal hard drive? (this way I can keep both hard drives identical as far as video is concerned)

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Sure, there's the giany ON/OFF switch in the time machine control panel. Turn it off when you need all your speed/power for video editing.
    [​IMG]

- Martin