Internal or External HD on my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Sep 7, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I have a MBP 2.5ghz, with the 200gb 7200rpm internal hard drive.

I keep all of my music on an external HD, and usually stream it to my computer over the AirDisk of Airport express.

However, Airdisk hasn't been working for me lately....

My question is this: My internal HD will easily accommodate my music library. Will putting my library onto my internal HD be a bad thing? I skip through songs a lot, and don't want to wear my internal out prematurely... (Am I just being paranoid??)

Thanks

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I keep my music on the local HDD and store movies and video on an external (since they take up more space).

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Airdisk is for Airport Extreme :p

Anyway I'll stop being nitpicky.

Personally, I keep my music on the internal because I like being able to take my MBP back and forth to school without needing to worry about plugging in the external HDD just to listen to music. My collection is only about 20GB big though.

I have two external HDDs. One is a WD 320GB USB 2.0 that I use for extra storage and archive purposes, and the other is my LaCie 500GB FW800 that I use as a Time Machine back up and a Final Cut scratch disk. I keep music on the MBP's internal along with apps.

This is just my personal preference. I'm pretty sure that others will have different set ups.

4. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so I guess I was just being over-concerned...

I never really had the extra room to spare on my Powerbook G4, but my library has changed since those days.... Thanks guys!

5. akadmon macrumors 68010

I would keep the iTunes library on an external drive (that's how I set my daughter up who just went away to school). The only drawback is you won't be able to update your library right away if you download a new song. Small price to pay for extra 30, 40, 80 GB of space on your internal hdd! I assume you own an MP3 player (iPod) -- why not use it to listen to music? iTunes is primarily a management tool -- it's silly to depend on it for playback.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Uhh..because some people have elaborate setups that incorporate high definition speakers/monitors in 5.1/7.1 setups and, since it is a laptop, may want their collection on the go :)

Long gone are the days of pimped out Notebooks with 10 WHOLE Gigs of Space available, pre OS install ;)

Esp since you cant Easily copy files from your ipod to pc

But its much more than a management tool. I'd have to argue that it doens't really do that well, since one must rely on plugins and such to do seemingly basic functions such as dupes and cover art.