internal or external scratch disc for photoshop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by katties, Oct 4, 2009.

1. katties macrumors newbie

Hi I'm new to Mac and I'd like to ask a question regarding Photoshop. I have 1TB on the hard disc, which is currently designed as a scratch disc (by default), and 1Tb of external drive that I currently use for storing miscellaneous items and as a backup. I would like to ask for opinion of someone more experienced - is it better to use an internal or external scratch disc for Photoshop, and if internal, is it better to create a partition or just leave things as they are. I feel I have plenty of space to do any (at the moment;)). Thank you for help

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm. Obviously it would depend on what kind of connection speed you were getting for your external drive and what hard drive. What kind of Mac do you have?

3. katties thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac OS X 10.6.1, 16Gb Ram, 2 x 2.26 Quad core

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

personally i'd use the internal, internal bus speeds are always faster then usb or even firewire, i dont think partitioning should be required either 1TB is more then enough unless your working with some truly huge image sizes

5. katties thread starter macrumors newbie

..and then I've found on adobe 'For the best performance, you should set the primary scratch disk to a defragmented hard drive that is not running the OS'...http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/317/317280.html

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

personally i dont bother with jip like that, i run my settings and they work, my scratch disk is me internal one with mac os loaded on it, it works fine for me, though i barely have to use it

horses for courses, what are you using photoshop for? i use mine for light photo editing and thats about it, unless your using it for more intensive purposes you should be fine, and with 16Gb of ram, i assume your using the 64Bit version ?

7. katties thread starter macrumors newbie

I use photoshop for everything as I'm learning, so I expect it to do everything. I just don't want it to crash on 3d and animation (I know flash but as I say I want to try everything).
    64, yes, most application in snow leopard supposed to be 64.
    Thank you for help. I used PC previously.

8. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

either internal should be fine, if your only just starting then it's up to you, doing simple stuff you shouldnt have to worry about performance just yet, and with that much ram it should take you a while before a scratch disk is even required, you decide,

you could use this and change ya settings from one to the other to determine which is faster > click here

9. katties thread starter macrumors newbie

ok came up 28.2s, I'm happy with it

thanks that was something:)