Internal raid lost help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rei101, Feb 14, 2014.

1. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Hi guys

I got 2 4TB drives 6 months ago and created an internal raid with those drives inside my Mac Pro. The partition has 8TB.

Now, the partition stopped working, Disc Utility says is mounted and the Verifications said everything is fine. But... the raid is not showing on the desktop.

Does anybody knows any other software I can use to mount/ verified/ repair the raid without reformatting it. There is some data I do not want to lose.

Thank you.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

"Mounted" is not the same as "Appears on the desktop"
    Check in Finder Preferences that all items that you need to show on desktop are selected.
    Does your raid show in the top-level computer window?
    Control-click on the window name in any Finder window, and choose the bottom item in the list that appears. That is also your computer's name. Selecting that name will change that window to show the top level of your file hierarchy, and will show all local storage devices and network volumes.
    Does your RAID appear in that window?

3. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

If you have 2x4TB and it shows as 8TB surely it isn't RAID.
    2X4TB drives would be 4TB in RAID0 I think.

Barney

Edit RAID 0 would be 8TB but it would not give any redundancy.

4. rei101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hi

Yes, the raid shows in the Finder Preferences menu. The computer is on top of the list.

But I do not get the Control-click thing.

On the other hand, I have a window open on the desktop showing me the contents of the raid, still there. But the name is grayed.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I meant to say "right-click", but Control-click gives the same result (the drop-down list ), so I should have said Right-click on the window title, but Control-click (or also Command-click) would show the same list of names.

And just to expand on what Barney63 posted, if you set up the raid with RAID-0, then you have no safe redundancy, which means that if one hard drive fails, you lose everything on that RAID-0 volume, with no likely way to recover any lost data. A full time backup, to another volume, becomes even more important.