Internal Rattle Common, or Loose Part??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Titan12, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Titan12 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I was wondering if some of you could help me make sure a phone is in spec real quick. I've noticed a rattle that originates from the area of the auto-focus camera. Its not any of the buttons, as I have already checked by holding them down. I notice the rattle when I lay the phone down on a table. I suspect it is a movable part near the camera but want to be sure. Would some of you guys lightly tap your phone on your hand in the area of the camera on the back and see if you hear this rattle at all? (Yea I know that I could just not tap the phone to my hand and I wouldn't hear it, but I just want to make sure this is common, and not an actual loose part.) This would save me a trip to the AT&T store to check out the demo models. I appreciate it ahead of time!! :D I always use the first week with my new phone to make sure everything is as it should be. Thanks!

update: I just tried it on my wife's 3GS, and hers does it as well. You only hear it when setting the phone down on a surface.

2. JayDH macrumors 6502

I have the exact same rattle near the camera. No idea what it is. When I set it on a table it def rattles though.

3. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Everyone has it, its probably something inside we dont know about. If everything works and Apple doesnt recall it, I wouldnt worry about it.

4. Titan12 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good to me. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't an issue. I appreciate the responses, as now I can start to relax, lol. I wonder if it actually is a part of the camera though?

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

6. w00tme macrumors member

my sister's 3G doesn't have a rattle, though. :confused:

7. Titan12 thread starter macrumors regular

My 1st Gen doesn't make a sound at all, so I'm not sure its the accelerometer.

8. dagomike macrumors 65816

Is it your silent switch? Mine rattles. If I put my finger on it, no rattle. I'm OK with that.

9. w00tme macrumors member

i've tried holding onto the switch and all buttons while tapping the phone and the rattle is still there.

10. JayDH macrumors 6502

I've checked the volume switch and the silent switch. Neither one is the cause of the rattle. It isn't in my 3G but it is in my 3GS.

11. Titan12 thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know if any of the teardowns have revealed any extra parts in that area???

12. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

13. w00tme macrumors member

I found that some of the noise from my video came from the loose silent switch only in silent mode. This was audible my just shaking the phone. The internal rattle can be heard by tapping the phone against my palm.

14. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

lmao no it isn't.

15. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Chances are it's the auto-focus apparatus. Auto-focus doesn't happen in software or something, it's actually a moving lens.

16. Titan12 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. I can hear a seperate small rattle from my silent switch when on silent. However the rattle is different, and in a separate place. I just hope since it does appear to be a moving part that its not something that can be easily damaged if you accidently drop your phone.

17. frikfrak macrumors regular

mine has the rattle too. It's not any of the buttons (held them all) or the sim tray (i removed it). As for it being the focusing mechanism, I'd like to believe that's what it is. But looking at the lens while focusing, I can't see or hear any evidence of focusing. Anybody have a link describing the focusing mechanism as mechanical rather than in software? (I looked but came up empty.)

EDIT: After some more thought, for me this is a minor issue. On the 2g and 3g, I went thru multiple phones and still ended up with flaws on both. My 3GS is absolutely perfect, except for this tiny little annoyance. No way I'm going to risk yellow screen, dead pixels, misaligned bezel, goofy buttons, etc. to swap this one for another one.

Still would like to see confirmation of the auto focus being mechanical though.

18. Titan12 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea Im in the same boat. Since its so common (pretty much everyone I ask) I do think its a normal part of the phone. I would now just like to know what it is, and know whether or not its going to be easy to damage since it sounds so loose. Im not returning unless it is determined that it isnt spec.

19. frikfrak macrumors regular

Just got back from the Apple store. I tested by holding all the buttons, and then tapping the upper back in the middle. 13 3GS iphones on display sounded exactly like mine - very slight rattle when tapped as described above or when set down on the back. Tapping anywhere else does nothing. The regular 3G's I tried made no rattle.

20. frikfrak macrumors regular

21. tommy8884 macrumors member

The silent switch on my 3gs rattles in silent mode. Didn't happen in my 1st gen nor on any 3g I have seen. If it's not normal I want mine replaced!

22. Titan12 thread starter macrumors regular

Possible Answer to Rattle???

Ok, I think I am almost positive it is a part of the auto-focus. I held my phone lightly tapping the back enough to hear the rattle. While doing this I touched the screen of the camera to initiate a refocus. During the refocus attempt the rattle stopped, only to continue once it was complete. I tapped the phone at a consitant pace the entire time and after a few trials, the rattle stopped each time during focus operation. I know we are being a little neurotic here, but who cares right? Can any of you repeat this and see if you get the same result? This may solve the unidentified rattle once and for all, lol. At least it appears to be confirmed as normal on a 3GS.

23. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

24. w00tme macrumors member

Mine does the same. The rattle goes away during auto-focusing but then comes back. I can't help but believe that the rattle in my phone is louder than most. lol