Internal SD Card Reader Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Nimrad, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Nimrad macrumors 6502

Hey!

Is there anybody out there that has created an internal memory card reader for the Mac Pro? In the optical bay maybe? I don't wanna use up any space or USB-ports.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

AFAIK Nobody does, simply because 1) Nobody makes a SATA Card Reader and 2) Running USB to the Optical Bay would be very difficult as the hard drives are in the way. - You dont have a choice but to use a USB 2 port - you can always add extra ports with a Card etc.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

1. There are SATA card readers out there (check Amazon).
    2. Routing a USB cable up the ODD bay has nothing to to with the hard drives and is in fact quite simple.

However, considering the bad accessibility of the ODD bay due to the drive door (which might physically limit access to the card readers slots), I'd agree with using a simple USB or FW based external card reader.

4. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, this product never made it to deployment.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Here was my solution, I just place it on top of my Mac Pro. I guess with a lot of guts and some ingenuity it could be mounted in the 5.25" drive space, but unsure of how close it could get to the opening and you would have to deal with the drive door.
    [​IMG]

7. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Another idea: if you use an iPhone or iPod, get a Griffin Simplifi. It's a combination iPhone/iPod dock and flash card reader. Works great.

8. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

or buy a dell (or third party) display, almost all of them have card readers built in now...