Internal Speakers Dead on MB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fleetwood Mac, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

One of my MacBooks only has sound when connected to headphones or external speakers. The internal speakers won't work at all. When no external sound device is plugged in, trying to change the volume reveals the all to familiar permanently muted graphic.

The red optical audio light is stuck on inside the line out jack. This leads me to believe some sort of switch is stuck or something..

I've spoken with a tech about getting a repair, but it has to be done through my organization. According to him, it could be months before someone could even look at it.

Is there anything I can do?

2. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

3. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Oh that was just the beginning. I've gone as far as reinstalling the system. I have the feeling this is going to require some sort of physical repair.

4. Fleetwood Mac thread starter macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Problem solved. Should anyone else have the same problem, my solution was insert and remove a headphone cable from the jack several times. This must have unstuck the switch.

5. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting this. My father-in-law has had the same problem. I'm going to try the in-and-out jack solution.