internal speakers disabled

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oceanjaws, Aug 20, 2009.

1. oceanjaws macrumors member

oceanjaws

My Macbook has suddenly stopped having internal speakers in the sound preferences.
    When I turn it on, it plays that familiar synth chord sound to say all is ok, but it wont play any audio. So videos and itunes etc play but the sound isn't produced.
    When I try to turn the volume up or down, the indicator says the volume is up full, but I cannot adjust it. Underneath the volume measurement there is a little sign in white like a no entry sign, meaning that adjustment of volume is not available.
    I gues this must mean that the speakers have been disabled, but can't figure out how to enable them.
    Anybody got any ideas?
    Brian

2. dandaman2 macrumors regular

hmm... that's odd. It would seem to me your computer simply isn't detecting them and it's not a hardware issue but a software issue. Have you tried reinstalling the sound drivers? I don't know how one would do this but I do know a little google magic could help.

3. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

how about gettin the mac install discs and having a little play around in there, remember to back all of your files up aswell. If all else fails go into an Apple store and ask them about it... unlike microsoft helpers, they generally will be kind and helpful

4. oceanjaws thread starter macrumors member

oceanjaws

Bummer

it seems the headphone output thinks it is being used permanently.
    i went to my nearest store and the genius did a few tests.
    that's why i get the start-up chime, but no sound from speakers after that.
    i've noticed, since, that there is a red light glowing from inside the output socket.
    like a little red evil eye staring out at me.
    :mad:
    to fix the problem would cost in the region of £300
    i'd be better to buy a new one, so i'm gonna just deal with it.
    thanks for your help guys.
    as always, this forum is the first place i turn to in times of trouble.
    b