Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
I have a 27" mid-2011 iMac - today I upgraded it to 16GB RAM and added an SSD (in addition to the existing hard drive). The memory upgrade I performed myself but the SSD upgrade was done by a qualified tech.

Now my internal speakers no longer appear as an audio output device, instead I have a "digital out / optical digital-out port". I cannot adjust the volume (my menu bar volume icon is greyed out) and no sound plays either through the speakers or connected headphones once I login, however I hear the startup chime when I first turn it on, so this doesn't appear to be a hardware problem - it is perhaps a driver issue? Is there any way I can rectify this without reinstalling OS X? I plan to install Yosemite on the SSD once it's out but would prefer to wait rather than installing Mavericks on it first.

I have already tried resetting my SMC, resetting my PRAM a few times and also reinstalled the 10.9.4 combo update, but neither have resulted in any changes.

Thanks guys.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
I don't understand how something the tech has done would only affect sound after startup - surely it would prevent the startup chime from playing too?

Regardless, it won't be a hardware issue - again, if there was physically something wrong with the logic board, speakers or cables it would not allow the startup chime to be played.

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
Matt T, My apologies missed this relevant information in your original post. My original train of thought was the tech may have left the speakers unplugged on logic board.

however I hear the startup chime when I first turn it on, so this doesn't appear to be a hardware problem - it is perhaps a driver issue?

There's also at least one other hardware thing we can try first. which now I reread your post sounds like it most likely is this.

Now my internal speakers no longer appear as an audio output device, instead I have a "digital out / optical digital-out port". I cannot adjust the volume (my menu bar volume icon is greyed out) and no sound plays either through the speakers or connected headphones once I login

Okay with the computer started up and logged in and running, look at the headphones Jack closely and see if you see a red light. It sounds like the optical digital output has been triggered. Which is very common in iMac models.

Edit: somewhat related link.

Last edited:

FACADE

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
Can you select "internal speakers" when you press 'option + speaker icon' in the menu bar?

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
There is no red light and no 'internal speakers' listed when option-clicking the speaker icon in the menu bar. I have also heard of a "toothpick trick" which involves using a toothpick to try and unstick a switch in the audio out port in case it thinks it has something connected to it - but still nothing.

I also tried reinstalling Mavericks anyway, but still no luck.

I'll be taking it back to the technician this week.

cajun2431

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Lake Charles, LA
Verdict?

Matt,

I am having the same problem after installing an SSD in place of my stock hard drive. What did the tech say was not allowing the sound to play from internal speakers? I have an iMac 21.5 late 2013, but I'm sure it has to be because of the upgrade.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
I never got a proper explanation actually - when I asked what had caused it they kind of shrugged it off and said "it's ok it's fixed now". I suspect the technician who installed my SSD forgot to reconnect something and fixed it when I brought it back in, and they didn't want to admit their mistake.

Did you install the SSD yourself or have a technician do it? Perhaps it's a similar story for you?

And on a seperate note - holy mother of god, my iMac is absolutely *screaming* now with this SSD! Hard to believe I was without it for so long!

cajun2431

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Lake Charles, LA
Matt,

I did the installation myself. I have re-traced my steps and carefully examined all connectors inside the iMac. I did notice last night when I plugged and unplugged headphones a few times slowly, I monitored the output and once or twice it would show internal speakers real quick then would go back to digital optical out once i completely unplugged the headphones. So, something is telling me it could be the headphone jack interface. I poked and prodded a bit with a toothpick but that didn't do anything. Also, I should note that when I plug in my headphones, I only get sound in one ear. (Not sure if this is valuable info or not)

I have reset PRAM about 80 times and have tried all the other recommended trouble shooting tips.

If anyone else has any ideas, please share. I am about to begin recording music and will attach studio monitors and I'm wondering if this will help or if the issue will hinder this too from working properly.:confused:

Penoy

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2018
Matt,

I did the installation myself. I have re-traced my steps and carefully examined all connectors inside the iMac. I did notice last night when I plugged and unplugged headphones a few times slowly, I monitored the output and once or twice it would show internal speakers real quick then would go back to digital optical out once i completely unplugged the headphones. So, something is telling me it could be the headphone jack interface. I poked and prodded a bit with a toothpick but that didn't do anything. Also, I should note that when I plug in my headphones, I only get sound in one ear. (Not sure if this is valuable info or not)

I have reset PRAM about 80 times and have tried all the other recommended trouble shooting tips.

If anyone else has any ideas, please share. I am about to begin recording music and will attach studio monitors and I'm wondering if this will help or if the issue will hinder this too from working properly.:confused:

I’m having the same problem you have. Did you solved it? If yes tell me how pls.!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.