Internal Speakers not listed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Frostywinter, May 17, 2011.

1. Frostywinter, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

Frostywinter macrumors newbie

After doing a fresh install of Snow Leopard on my 2011 iMac I dont have any sound?

In the Sound option in Sys prefs the only listed Output device is "digital out"?

The normal startup sound plays as I first turn the iMac on and sound fully works under Bootcamp/Windows 7??

Seems like some software issue - anyone know how to fix this...

Have done all Software updates..

Tks

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You installed Leopard on a 2011 iMac? As in 10.5 Leopard? That is probably your problem right there.

3. Frostywinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry my Bad - its Snow Leopard

Tks

4. Frostywinter thread starter macrumors newbie

After much googling it seems this problem (no internal speakers listed in output device tab in Sys Pref) happens at times.. but no one really nows why..

I did forget to say it only happened after I opened up my new iMac and installed a new SSD drive :) which works great by the way.. I also swapped out the 1TB hard drive for a 2TB one.

So it seems I may have not plugged something back in - although I was very careful..

There is the normal Apple chime sound when I boot the machine up but no sound after that..

Sound fully works under Windows 7/Bootcamp.. :confused:

SO obviously I plugged the speaker back in to get these sounds..

Anyone know what other internal sensors or connections that could be giving this problem?

Tks

5. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Reset your PRAM and SMC?

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Is there anything plugged into the audio jack? or a redlight coming out of it?
    have you tried option clicking the speaker icon in the menu bar and changing the output manually?

and im assuming you used the restore discs that came with the computer and not the retail version..

7. Frostywinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Tks guys

Yes tried the PRAM reset - just get the normal Apple Chime sounds

Reset SMC - isn't this just turning off, unplugging for 15 secs and turning on again? It didn't do anything for the sound issue.

Tried plugging some headphones into the headphone socket and no sound there either..

The only listed OUTPUT device in Sys Prefs - Sound is optical

My External Bluetooth speakers work.

Yes did a complete reinstall of Snow Leopard from the disc that came with the iMac..

Any other suggestions?

Tks