Internal Speakers popping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BrettApple, Jan 1, 2014.

1. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I just received a Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro I bought on Ebay that is in nearly perfect condition, and it runs great. However, the speakers will make a popping sound just before any audio is played, including the boot sound, or after a few seconds when no sound is being played. It is like the speakers are going into some sort of power save mode and get turned off when not in use. But when power goes to them to be used, they pop. So if you go to play any sound they have to turn back on and usually miss the first second of audio. Such as adjusting the volume, playing an iTunes track, etc. And then when no audio is playing they pop turning back off.

The annoying part is that they pop when browsing the web too because OS X will power them on to anticipate audio being played when there is flash on the page, even if none will be played and then it pops. It does this when muted too.

Anyone else ever have this problem or know of a fix? I've found a few others with the problem on a range of different models, but none of them had any solution. Such as a way to just keep them powered on perhaps?

Any input is appreciated.

For what it's worth, this is the first Mac I've had do this, and I've got everything from an '07 MBP, '07-'08 iMac, '08 MB, '09 MPB, 2010 MBP and on and none have ever had this issue.

(And just to clarify the title, they do not pop when audio is playing. In fact they sound great! It's just before and after audio plays that the issue "pops" up.)

2. BrettApple thread starter macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Found a terminal command that will make them do it instantly, since it resets core audio.

"sudo kill -9 `ps ax|grep 'coreaudio[a-z]' | awk '{print $1}'`"

3. BrettApple, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

BrettApple thread starter macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I found an app to help it out called "antipop" that keeps the speakers awake all the time. But I think I may have actually figured out the cause. Comparing it to my other MBP, it seems that the subwoofer isn't working correctly. And the popping sound seems to be isolated to the right speaker, which would make sense, as that's where the sub is located.

Seems I'm on the right track. I kind of want to send it back, but at the same time, replacing the right speaker/sub may fix it.

Using iFixit's guide I'm going to try simply unplugging it from the logic board first and see if it goes away.

Well, for future reference if anyone ever stumbles across this thread. The issue is indeed the subwoofer on the right speaker. When unplugged from the logic board, the pop goes away, and when directly comparing it to my working MBP, the sound is very tinny, and lacking any mid range. So that explains it. I'm not going to send it back because it is otherwise in very good condition, and I'm a cosmetics guy. I found the part through iFixit but went with PowerBook Medic because they had used ones for $10. Hopefully replacing it will be all I have to do and she'll be good as new. :)

4. BrettApple thread starter macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Annnd the darn thing still isn't working with a new speaker. Wonder what gives?
    I plugged the speaker into my 2010 15" and it worked just fine, but plug it back in to the '08 and it just pops. So it sounds like it may be an issue with the logic board? It doesn't seem to be software, because it pops on the boot sound before the OS is even loaded. :confused:

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Sounds like you have isolated it to the speaker driver/amplifier on the logic board is stuffed - or an issue with the speaker connector pins on the board.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

7. BrettApple thread starter macrumors 65816

BrettApple

That's my best guess, the pins look fine, and are perfectly clean. Has to do something with the board. It isn't just the popping, as stated, anti pop does stop that, because it keeps the power from being sent to and from the sub all the time. But it doesn't help the fact that it isn't working.

I could swap it out with another Late '08, but I may just pony up the extra cash for a Mid 2010 model that is almost identical to my main Mac. This one is for my girlfriend, she's working on getting into graphic design and had an Acer netbook with an Atom. First I started with a Mid '07 but I was a little worried with the 8600M GT failures, and the battery was shot soon after I got it. So I went to this Late '08, which is great, minus the sub. Going from '07 to 2010 would be pretty decent jump. The 2011 and newer ones are just too expensive for a college student to be giving as a gift, lol.