Internal SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sam1487, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Sam1487 macrumors member

Sam1487

I'm considering buying a solid state drive to go in to my 2 x 2.66GHz December 2006 Mac Pro.

I already have four hard drives in there, and it's the main one I want to replace.

But

I would like to replace the current "launch" (OSX, Apps etc) hard drive with another regular hard drive to use as storage, and then a SSD on top of that.

I already have four hard drives connected in the four internal slots, but for some reason I believe I read somewhere that I could fit the SSD in place of what could have been my second superdrive slot (which is currently empty). Is this possible?

And does anyone have any SSD recommendations?

Cheers

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2006 Mac Pro uses PATA for SuperDrives so no, not really. You could, however, get an (e)SATA PCIe card and move one or two of the HDs to that (most PCIe cards aren't bootable AFAIK). IIRC there is also two extra SATA connectors in 2006 Mac Pro, maybe someone can confirm that.

Any SandForce based SSD is good, e.g. OCZ Vertex 2

3. Sam1487 thread starter macrumors member

Sam1487

Thanks, I'll look in to that. Would be preferable to dropping 3.5k on a new Mac Pro (and then the screens, and SSD...). But then again, my Apple finger is getting twitchy once again...

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I'm not in front of my Mac Pro atm, but I recall that the 2006 models have 6 SATA channels (4 for hard drive bays and 2 for optical bays). It is true that the superdrives were connected via PATA but I do believe the option to install SATA drives was available.

5. Sam1487 thread starter macrumors member

Sam1487

That's potentially great news. I've ordered a replacement HDD anyway (as the plan always was) so that will cover me in the mean time for me to find the time to pop the side of and go exploring.