Internal Storage Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elohimito, Jul 14, 2012.

1. elohimito, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

elohimito macrumors newbie

elohimito

I'm looking to get more internal storage on my MBP 7,1

I think I'm goig to go with HDD so I can get more storage for the $$.

Do I need to get a specific GB/s? The one I'm looking at is 3GB/s http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...2299060&sr=8-1&keywords=5400+rpm+internal+mac

What about the cache? 8MB looks most common?

Any advice would be great!

Also, is it pretty simple to do? I'm fairly technically literate.

Thanks!

2. BigZ9 macrumors member

You could look into the optibay, so you can swap your optical drive for another harddrive bay. That way you can get the luxury of 2 HDD's or an SSD/HDD combo.

3. elohimito thread starter macrumors newbie

elohimito

Hmmm. I'm thinking of getting either a 750GB or 1TB. Not sure I'd need two. Plus I'd like to have the working cd/dvd drive.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

I usually go with the answer of if you have to ask its better left to someone that doesn't have to ask. A simple Google search will yield many tutorials, read those and then you decide if you think you can do it. I still stand by my answer of if you have to ask its better left to someone that doesn't have to ask. I have seen too many people who were "fairly technically literate" ruin their $2k+ devices because they thought they could do it.

5. elohimito thread starter macrumors newbie

elohimito

That's good advice. I'll do some reading up and see.

Would the genius bar help transfer data from my old hard drive to my new one?

Also, Am I going to need to buy the OS or can I 'transfer'...

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

You can reinstall the OS or clone it to the new hard drive. I am a Systems Administrator and service all of my own computers so I do not know if the Genius Bar will help you do what you are wanting to do.