Internal Temp and/or fan speeds

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
Does anyone know if you can see what the internal temp of a G5 is? Mine is usually very quiet, but for the last few days it had periods of 30 seconds or so when all the fans go full speed. They do quickly return to normal quickly so I don't think it is a heat thing.

Doug

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Konfabulator has some utilities that monitor processor temps...but it is a resources hog.

Try Version Tracker yet?

Comment

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
"Hardware Monitor" and "Temperature Monitor" are two programs that can read the cpu temp, hard drive temp cpu voltage, and cpu current, and hard drive fan speeds, (depending on which program you run.)

You have a choice of C or F or both for display of temp. It's hard to find published "normal' temps, but i've read that 83 C for the CPU is automatic shut down time.

This iMac G5 20 is practically idling and cpu is 51.7. Running some labor intensive program such as Folding, or X-Plane, or the graphical display in iTunes will heat it up a bit which the programs display nicely.

Comment

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
JDar said:
"Hardware Monitor" and "Temperature Monitor" are two programs that can read the cpu temp, hard drive temp cpu voltage, and cpu current, and hard drive fan speeds, (depending on which program you run.)

You have a choice of C or F or both for display of temp. It's hard to find published "normal' temps, but i've read that 83 C for the CPU is automatic shut down time.

This iMac G5 20 is practically idling and cpu is 51.7. Running some labor intensive program such as Folding, or X-Plane, or the graphical display in iTunes will heat it up a bit which the programs display nicely.
I use Temperature Monitor. I guess my PM 2x2.5 GHz G5 must have died months ago, and I haven't noticed, since my cpu die temps under load (I Fold 24x7) are around 85-86 C. There's actually a big difference in die temp thresholds between the original 970 (G5) and the newer 970FX (the one that gets us to 2.5 GHz), with the latter having a much higher max die temp.

Comment

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
The cpu fan in my PC died and i didnt notice for months... My temp monitor showed it going upto 101C during folding but now that i replaced it it never gets above 65C... I wonder why my PC didnt shut down at those high temps. :rolleyes:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.