Internal vs External SSDs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tirexstorm, Nov 14, 2014.

1. tirexstorm macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2007
    I am planning on ordering a riMac and I am debating between ordering with a 512gb SSD and ordering with a 256gb SSD and then using an external 250gb SSD (USB 3.0) to inxrease the capacity. The latter will be a lot cheaper, but will there be any performance problems doing it that way?
  2. karel maenhout macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2014
    external ssd using USB3... don't

I sadly found out that using an external ssd isn't the best way to go. I use a Lacie Porsche Slim ssd for my vmware images. The performance dropped considerably after some usage. The solution to restore the original performance was to do the following steps:
    - copy everything to another disk
    - get the ssd out of the enclosure
    - attach it using sata to a windows pc
    - format the ssd to ntfs
    - run disk optimiser on the ssd (=trim)
    - put it again in the enclosure
    - format it to an apple format
    - copy everything (vmware images) to the ssd again
    I dont even dare to think about the consequences of those steps to the lifetime of the ssd...

A better solution (but much more expensive) would be a ssd in a thunderbolt enclosure... If you can find one that you can afford. "Trim can be enabled" using thunderbolt.
  3. koulmj Suspended

Mar 18, 2013
    I have a usb 2 ssd 250gb, boots to osx just fine. It is actually an internal drive hooked up to a usb adapter. Run great... Boots way faster than the spin ing internal imac drive. This is a 21.5inch model i bought last month.
  4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2007
    It won't be much cheaper if you want the same performance. To get anything like what you will get internally you'll need a pair of SSDs in RAID on USB3 or Thunderbolt, which is going to be a lot more than just upgrading the SSD.
  5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN