Internal vs External SSDs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tirexstorm, Nov 14, 2014.

1. tirexstorm macrumors regular

I am planning on ordering a riMac and I am debating between ordering with a 512gb SSD and ordering with a 256gb SSD and then using an external 250gb SSD (USB 3.0) to inxrease the capacity. The latter will be a lot cheaper, but will there be any performance problems doing it that way?

2. karel maenhout macrumors newbie

external ssd using USB3... don't

I sadly found out that using an external ssd isn't the best way to go. I use a Lacie Porsche Slim ssd for my vmware images. The performance dropped considerably after some usage. The solution to restore the original performance was to do the following steps:
    - copy everything to another disk
    - get the ssd out of the enclosure
    - attach it using sata to a windows pc
    - format the ssd to ntfs
    - run disk optimiser on the ssd (=trim)
    - put it again in the enclosure
    - format it to an apple format
    - copy everything (vmware images) to the ssd again
    I dont even dare to think about the consequences of those steps to the lifetime of the ssd...

A better solution (but much more expensive) would be a ssd in a thunderbolt enclosure... If you can find one that you can afford. "Trim can be enabled" using thunderbolt.

3. koulmj macrumors 6502

I have a usb 2 ssd 250gb, boots to osx just fine. It is actually an internal drive hooked up to a usb adapter. Run great... Boots way faster than the spin ing internal imac drive. This is a 21.5inch model i bought last month.

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It won't be much cheaper if you want the same performance. To get anything like what you will get internally you'll need a pair of SSDs in RAID on USB3 or Thunderbolt, which is going to be a lot more than just upgrading the SSD.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604