"International" 10.5 Leopard retail DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by atomicchicken, Sep 5, 2007.

1. atomicchicken macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have what maybe a simple question but if anyone can help, would really appreciate it. I am currently living overseas and was hoping to purchase Leopard when it is released. My question is if I buy it outside the US, are all the dvd's the same or are they localized to each region. Of course it would be easier for me to just buy it here instead of having to have someone buy it and send it to me. Are all the retail disc the same?

Thanks!!!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

With Tiger, my Australian-purchased disc was set up for Australia in terms of the original time zone and such, but was otherwise pretty American-focused. It'll ask you to choose a language at the start of the installation and from there you should be fine.

3. atomicchicken thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mad jew,

so does that basically mean that only on initial start up from the disc it will be region specific but after specifying the language everything else will "match up"?

are there any other differences between the disc other than maybe the language on the box/disc?

thanks again for your insight

4. kolax macrumors G3

It is only movies that are region locked.

Software isn't AFAIK...?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From memory it was literally the time zone and the currency formats that were Australian-specific. That was all. Obviously these can be changed quite easily though... Each disc seems to carry the same data irrespective of where it's sold. :)

It's not so much the region locking that's the problem but rather the fact that different countries might have discs with different setup data and subsequently different settings in OSX, such as languages. Fortunately, I'm 99% sure this isn't the case. :)