International Applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GoKyu, Nov 29, 2008.

1. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Hey all,

My girlfriend is currently living in Asia/Australia for the next year or so, and is about to buy a Macbook (still deciding on plastic/aluminum.)

I want to buy the Applecare for her as part of her Christmas present, but do they have country-specific Applecare codes, or does it not matter?

If I buy it from LA Computers or eBay, can she still register and receive service over there?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

AppleCare is international. If you buy applecare and take it to any of the apple retail store or apple store they'll cover it for you if the macbook was damage and it is under warranty:).

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Applecare covers Apple products worldwide, irrespective of the country of origin of the purchaser or computer.

Cheers and good luck

4. cube macrumors G4

I thought worldwide was only for portable products.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Last I checked, a MacBook is portable.

6. cube macrumors G4

So? People are apparently posting misleading information that could bite the OP or some reader another time in the future.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What misleading information? AppleCare provides worldwide coverage for the MacBook that the OP asked about.

8. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Hey man,
    I live in lima, peru, and here the warrantys work we do not have a glorius apple store, just small ofices that sell UNEXPLAINABLE expesive macs, and well the just look at the serial number and chek if its in the apple care time limit, and well fix your rig in about 15 days or so.
    Ive done it with my Imac, and the headphones of some of my ipods
    thx

9. cube macrumors G4

You insist in assuming I was talking about Macbooks.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the OP's question, and the topic of this thread, relates to a MacBook:

11. cube macrumors G4

The topic of the thread is "International Applecare" and people are making generic comments. I know the OP is talking about a Macbook THIS time.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The question remains unanswered: what "misleading" information was posted?

13. cube macrumors G4

The generic statement "AppleCare is worldwide" instead of "AppleCare for notebooks is worldwide".

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to re-read the posts.

15. cube macrumors G4

Yout need to read. You quoted a sentence that says "AppleCare is international.". Period.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You still don't get it. I don't know what your problem is, but you're WAY off the topic of this thread. No one has posted misleading information. If you're referring to this post:
    .... the poster did NOT say "AppleCare covers ALL Apple products worldwide." AppleCare DOES provide worldwide coverage for all products covered by the AppleCare Protection Plan. No one has suggested anything different and no one has said that AppleCare provides worldwide coverage for every product that Apple makes, and NO ONE in this thread has said "AppleCare is worldwide"... except you.

17. cube macrumors G4

I paraphrased the misleading information posted, didn't quote.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that used to be true but they changed their policy several years ago

19. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

20. f1 macrumors 6502

Applecare is not quite international. Its coverage is not valid in certain countries particularly in the Middle East and Asia.

21. StuBeck macrumors 6502

There are also issues where it may need require sending the computer to teh specific country the machine came from. In my case if I needed to get my top case replaced I would have to get a US one to replace it, which would take a while.

22. GoKyu thread starter macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Thanks for the info so far from everyone.

This will be my gf's first Mac, and she needs a laptop to bring with her, so the Macbook really is the obvious choice here.

She will most likely either purchase it in Indonesia (where she lives for the time being), or in Australia, where she'll be in a few months.

I'm sure I can buy Applecare cheaper in the US than in one of those countries, and just send her the kit as part of her gift.

f1: What's this about AC not being valid in certain countries in Asia? Do you know which ones?

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is not accurate. AppleCare is not available for sale in some countries. However, if you buy AppleCare, it will cover your MacBook no matter where you take it. The only thing that changes is the availability of service locations and the availability of certain methods of shipment of your MacBook to Apple for service.

From the AppleCare Protection Plan:

24. GoKyu thread starter macrumors 65816

GoKyu

ggjstudios: Thanks for the info - I'll buy it here in the states and send it over.