International buying questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frog3r, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. frog3r macrumors newbie

    Jun 23, 2007
    I am from Mexico and intend to buy a MB in the following two weeks. I want to get the educational discount and was wondering if I could show some ID from my university or something like that.
    Other thing that I can do is pay in the online store and have it sent to a U.S address, but I dont know If apple store will accept a mexican credit card.

    The other question I had was, is it complicated to get the ipod refund (having a U.S shipping address of course), how does the printer discount works?

    thanks in advance
  2. ghettochild macrumors regular

    Jun 12, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    When you go to a U.S. Apple retail store you will need to show a valid U.S. student ID to get the discount. The Apple online store accepts only credit cards issued by a U.S. bank/CC company.

    Thus, you don't qualify for the free iPod and printer.
  3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816


    Mar 28, 2007
    Hi. Ghettochild is right. If you have some family in the US thats the best way to get it done.
  4. frog3r thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 23, 2007
    And about the other things?

    What about the rebates, are they easy to get?
  5. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    I don't think you'll get the rebate unless you have a student ID from a US school. You can try buying it online, and using a relative's address, but you run the risk of being found out. As for paying for it, you can get a gift card online, and I doubt they would care what country your credit card came from. Then you would be able to use that gift card in a store (if need be).
  6. frog3r thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 23, 2007
    Credit Card

    other thing is that the bank of my credit card is owned by an american bank, maybe that can work.

    A friendo of mine used an American Express, what do you think?

    Buying a gift card in a retail store and then buying the laptop with the gift card
  7. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    I think it's more imporant whether or not the card was issued in a particular country. If you think about it, most credit cards are issued by American corporations. See, if your card was issued in Mexico, then the credit card company will charge you a conversion fee for US dollars to Pesos. If it's a Visa or Mastercard, then you shouldn't have too many problems using the card, you'll just incur the fees.

    I just said that above^^^:)
  8. frog3r thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 23, 2007
    thank you

    I think Ill give it a try then, thank you very very much.

    In fact, banks here only use MC and VISA so, I think it'll work.

    thank you again

Share This Page