International carrier showing but Cellular off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Feb 18, 2017.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I turned off cellular in in settings for ios 10.2.1 but the "carrier" shows "vodafone NL" in settings as well as top left of iphone 6s screen next to wifi. I am using ATT in USA but travelling in Netherlands.

I am only using wifi and not sure why this is appearing.

Is there any chance I can be charged for international rates via att. I've never seen the carrier setting in setting before.

here is the screenshot

http://imgur.com/a/I0TeN

2. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

Using Netherlands Sim?

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

No . That's the weird thing. I am using regular AT&T US sim.

4. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Sounds like you might have just turned off cellular data and not cellular itself (as I didn't think there's a specific setting for that even).

What you probably want to do if you want to avoid cellular all together is enable airplane mode and then enable WiFi.

5. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

I think he is wondering how and why "Vodaphone NL" got to be on his phone.

6. jetsam macrumors 6502

As C DM said - you have turned off cellular data - not cellular voice.To turn off cellular voice, you must put your phone into airplane mode.

By default, any AT&T customer with over 90 days service will have pay-as-you-go international roaming turned on. When you entered the Netherlands, you automatically roamed onto a local carrier. If you make or receive any calls while the "Vodafone NL" logo is showing, you will be charged $2/minute. This may include calls you don't answer. I think you can turn off international roaming from OLAM, but I'm not 100% sure. This will make your phone go to "No Service" when outside the US.

Since you have cellular data turned off, you won't be charged for any cellular data. If you turn it back on, the a la carte price is $2.05/MB, IIRC.

Do you have Wi-Fi calling enabled? An AT&T 6S should be able to use Wi-Fi calling in the Netherlands when connected to Wi-Fi. That would logically place your phone back in the US, enabling you to use your phone to make calls to and from the US according to your domestic AT&T plan. See https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/wifi-calling.html .

If you don't have Wi-Fi calling enabled, I don't know if you can turn it on while outside the US.

If you have further questions, you can call AT&T International support at +1 916 843-4685 . This is a free call from your iPhone, and they answer 24/7.

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That might be part of it, but based on what OP mentioned it seems like the bigger question/worry, as I read it, is seeing something related to cellular carrier (no matter what it is) when the OP expected the cellular part to be turned off completely.

8. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

I think it's been answered, but put another way, yes, the Iphone is picking up the your cell provider's roaming partner's cell tower and ID. Nothing out of the ordinary, unless you turn all radios off (airplan mode).

Even with data and/or roaming turned off, you can still get incoming text (not I-messages, text) messages, and, incoming voice calls (and make them if so desired).