International charging

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Phil1961, Feb 8, 2013.

  1. Phil1961 macrumors newbie

    Feb 8, 2013
    Hi All - I am travelling to London, Paris, and Rome soon and was wondering what I need to charge an iPad and iPhone 5? I bought the Apple Travel Kit (does not support iPhone 5) and a USB International Adapter/Charger. Will that suffice? Do I need another converter? Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus


    Mar 7, 2007
    The only thing you need is the plug adapters to fit the plugs in those countries. The bricks can handle the voltage difference.
  3. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

    May 10, 2012
    This is correct. You don't need the voltage converter. Leave it at home.

    My daughter spent last spring semester in London and travelled to several European countries with her iPhone and iPad.

    From the Apple web site --

    "The AC plugs included in the World Travel Adapter Kit directly support outlets in North America, Japan, China, United Kingdom, Continental Europe, Korea, Australia, and Hong Kong.
    Please note. To use this kit with devices that use a Lightning connector — such as iPhone 5, iPad mini, and iPad with Retina display — you will need a Lightning to USB Cable, sold separately."
  4. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 27, 2012
    You do not need a converter for any of apples chargers. They all run on 120 (US) to 240(EURO). I used a converter to charge my Macbook once before doing research and the converter burned up. I pulled 60W out of a 55W converter. You only need the adapter part for going into the plug of the country you are visiting.
  5. Phil1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 8, 2013

Share This Page