International Customer Purchasing from US Online Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hazellle, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Hazellle macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am vacationing with friends in the United States for a Month. And was wondering why I just don't purchase a macbook here from the macbook refurb store as the prices are much better. So i have my friends address and will pick it up close to a store and I can use their address as the billing address but use my Canadian credit card to purchase it? Will this work? Has anyone done this?

If not if i order it through the telephone will it work?

Thanks in advance.

2. raptus macrumors newbie

same issue here

I'm visiting the U.S. soon, and I'm looking to do the same as the O.P., only with an iPad instead of an MBA. Anyone got experience with this, or suggestions?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

The credit card people will get upset if you enter an order and the "billing address" you use on the order doesn't match the address on record.

4. SandyT macrumors newbie

Can't see problem

When you order you can have separate billing address and shipping address.

5. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

the discount at the refurb store may not compensate simply getting a brand new mac at Amazon, wich sells Apple products with a $100 discount.

Moreover, Amazon is granteed tht the billing adress doesnt have to match shipping adress, and its delivery not only is on schedule, its very trackable.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Your billing address must match your card's address, so unless you have US card, you can't really buy it online. However you can have your friend buy it and then pay him/her back.

Even if you were able to buy it, Apple will ask for both your credit card and your state ID when picking up, and since both must be US based, you won't be able to pick it up. Finally you can't do a store pickup for refurbished items.

7. rdru macrumors newbie

You can register a new shipping address with your card operator and
    ship to his address (which can be different from your billing address).

The online store will submit your request to the CC operator and it will be accepted ...

I have done that many times, buying from Brazil (with my international brazilian CC) and shipping to an US address (and have friends bringing the goods to me...). [Racional: not all goods are shipped abroad + shipping costs are expensive + our customs fees are high]