International 'Holding Out' Thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Thrillho..., Apr 23, 2010.

  1. Thrillho... macrumors newbie

    Thrillho...

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2010
    #1
    Having followed the EU news thread for a long time, it has just become completely filled with people talking about their iPads that have arrived or are in the process of being shipped. I am starting to feel like a minority for not ordering one!

    So this thread is for people who are patiently waiting and will hopefully be justified by reasonable prices and the correct plug.

    Anyone have a prediction for a date...? I have a sneaky suspicion they may arrive earlier than late May, for the PR value.
     
  2. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

    Peter Harrison

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Mods, please don't merge this thread with the EU News one. That thread has become a place for people to talk about their iPads they are getting from the US. Ideally I would have liked that type of discussion to move to a new thread, but this works as well. So long as we have a place to discuss the EU release without each on-topic post being buried by countless pages from people saying "my delivery is at X now" and "how much tax did you pay?" which have nothing to do with news relating to the EU release of the iPad.

    To the OP, I don't think they will release earlier that late May. If preorders do go ahead on the 10th, then I predict a release date on the last week in May, or possibly early April.

    I hope we get more clear-cut carrier information before the release, as it will have a big impact on what model I go for.
     
  3. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

    #3
    Yes, please don't merge this with the EU News one, because that is convoluted and filled with, 'My iPad's on the way!' and 'How do I do x on iPad?' and is so off-topic it's ridiculous.

    I'm holding out for it to be released in Australia, because I'm hoping we see a nice discount (we've got a very good dollar now so we deserve it!) I just hope that the jailbreak isn't released until the International Orders start shipping otherwise Apple may be able to patch it before they start to ship them out! I really want to jailbreak, and I think if I couldn't do that, then I would not get an iPad! Yes, I, like many others, love the functionality jail breaking gives (not just piracy, and I certainly don't pirate), and would not get an iPad without it! So I'm hoping and praying for GeoHot etc. to wait until the International version is released, so we have a chance to get it without paying through the nose with ebay, to release the jail break!

    King Mook Mook
     
  4. Bentron macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    #4
    Thank goodness for this thread! The other one had basically become an "I've received my iPad" thread. Like the OP said, it felt like we are in the minority.

    Just to other nationalities (other than British), do you know which carriers will be providing coverage for the 3G? Here we have the same as iPhone i.e. Vodafone, O2 and Orange.
     
  5. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    Count me in as another guy waiting for the official international launch. Obviously I'd have liked to get an iPad early but the extra cost and uncertainty just wasn't worth a month or two's use.

    At least May 10 isn't that far away now...
     
  6. nasa25 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2010
    Location:
    canada
    #6
    Im Canadian and I held out for 39 minutes on launch day.

    The 39 min were spent waiting in line to buy my iPad.
     
  7. badbradderz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2009
    #7
    I'm waiting too.
    I'll be ordering either a 32GB WiFi with Apple Case or 16GB 3G with Apple Case depending on pricing...My order will be complete within 1 minute of the yellow sticky disappearing on May 10th i can assure you!
     
  8. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

    Peter Harrison

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    Well, I'm prepared. I've got a nice Belkin sleeve, lots of apps and I've just successfully installed the MyWi app on the iPhone and it works great. Tethered to my Macbook Pro with no problems.

    So with all that in mind, I'm either getting a 32GB or 64GB Wifi-only model. I'd prefer the 64GB and I plan to have some films on it and more space is always better than less. But I'm waiting to see the prices. If we really get shafted, I might end up going for 32GB. Definitely won't be getting a 16GB though. Fine for some, not for me.

    Quite depressing having my lovely little Belkin sleeve and no iPad. Still, helps give me an idea how big the thing is.
     
  9. Bentron macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    #9
    As much as I was frustrated by Apple putting the date back, I was relieved we were at least given a date for some solid pricing and Pre-Orders. It puts a firm chink of light at the end of the tunnel. On the other hand, it is still 17 days 'til the tenth... :(

    My way around it is by looking forward to Iron Man 2, and then for me it is only (in iPad waiting terms a few minutes) 4 days until pre-order day!
     
  10. RogerRoger macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2010
    #10
    I am holding out as well, I think it will be more rewarding in the end. A quick question for discussion with peoples more knowlege than me! I read that the iPad was put on preorder at the same time, ignoring time zones in the United States. What do you think they will do this time as there a larger gaps this time?

    Thanks, Roger
     
  11. h3nry macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    #11
    I'm another holding out!

    Have been very tempted on imports, still am, but telling myself its not long now...

    Have even booked days off work for the possible launch dates 14/17/21/24/28/31 May, the boss did chuckle. :p

    Hoping to go for either the 64GB WiFi or the 64GB 3G depending on price. If the 64GB 3G is really high I will decide between a 64GB WiFi and a 32GB 3G.

    Just looking at vaja cases at the moment, also at some of the other recommendations from fellow posters.

    Do you think we have made the right decision waiting?
     
  12. h3nry macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    #12
    What time do you think they will start pre-orders? 8am, midnite, 10am? (GMT)
     
  13. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #13
    I'm a brit living in oz and i am holding out as well :( I had the chance to buy one yesterday off ebay, but I changed my mind and decided to wait it out for another month. Hopfully apple won't take the piss with the prices....But i doubt it :(
     
  14. Dan14 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    #14
    Probably something like 5am, to coincide with the website technician activating the 'preorder' button in normal US hours.
     
  15. smr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    Shropshire, UK
    #15
    I'm also holding out. It has been quite easy so far as I really want the 3G model. However, with that being released in the US soon, it is going to get a bit harder to resist getting an import from the States...

    One question though - Are we reasonably confident that BOTH the 'WiFi' and 'WiFi+3G' models will be available at launch in the EU? Or will there be a further delay for the 3G model in the EU?
     
  16. testcard macrumors 68030

    testcard

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Location:
    Middle England
    #16
    I'm holding out too, and enjoying the sense of growing anticipation. Far better than stressing over an imported iPad that may or may not be sitting in Customs with a huge bill for import duties hanging over my head.

    Good things come to those who wait.
     
  17. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

    nwlondonlad

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    Location:
    UK London
    #17
    Hear Hear!!! Good thread, im holding out for a 32 gig 3G model from the UK. :eek:
     
  18. pbellamy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    Location:
    New York
    #18
    Are you sure you can't be tempted?

    My lovely US 32gig ipad is up for sale in the UK this week with no ebay or import issues...

    [slides fingers provocatively across the Apple case]
     
  19. Pointer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    #19
    Holding out here for a 3G version. Can't believe that the device was announced in January and here we are nearly in May still without a price let alone the actual device itself!!

    I'm sure the wait will be worth it.
     
  20. pbellamy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    Location:
    New York
    #20
    I'm thinking of holding a meeting in a London pub to let you UK folks at least try one... I'm just not sure I'd get out alive...
     
  21. testcard macrumors 68030

    testcard

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Location:
    Middle England
    #21
    Slides fingers provocatively across my wallet and then returns it to my back pocket. :D
     

Share This Page