Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

International iBookstore Offerings to Be Limited to Free Project Gutenberg Titles at Launch?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Last week, we noted that Apple's iBookstore had begun to live ahead of the iPad's launch in nine new countries scheduled for tomorrow. At the time, the stores contained only free content from Project Gutenberg, a limitation that remains in place today just hours before the iPad officially launches in the new markets.

A new report from The Bookseller indicates that the free Project Gutenberg content that initially populated the store may in fact be all international customers have to choose from at launch, with "not one" publisher having confirmed that a deal with Apple to distribute its content is in place.
Apple's iPad is unlikely to have more than a limited selection of e-books for its launch tomorrow (28th May), with not one publisher confirming it had a deal in place just hours before the device hits the shelves.

Although it has been widely rumoured Hachette UK and Penguin were close to finalising deals, no one from either company has confirmed or denied whether that is the case.
According to the report, publishers have been blaming a shortage of Apple staff for at least part of the holdup, with one source indicating that Apple has dedicated only two representatives to negotiating deals throughout Europe. In addition, concerns over Apple's "agency model" are for book pricing also contributing to publishers' reluctance to sign on to the iBookstore.

Article Link: International iBookstore Offerings to Be Limited to Free Project Gutenberg Titles at Launch?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
According to the report, publishers have been blaming a shortage of Apple staff for at least part of the holdup, with one source indicating that Apple has dedicated only two representatives to negotiating deals throughout Europe.

Not very impressive for a world class company.

mox358

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Indiana
This is unfortunate for international iPad owners... I hadn't purchased an actual book in years but there are three books now that I'm planning on buying for my iPad in the next week. The convenience really won me over.

That being said I think I read two books from Project Gutenberg before I actually bought one from iBooks, so if Apple moves swiftly they can get some for-pay content added to the store while everybody checks out the free books.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I find this hard to believe as well... Maybe a NDA imposed on the bookstores by Apple, not to mention anything before the launch?

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
A new report from The Bookseller indicates that the free Project Gutenberg content that initially populated the store may in fact be all international customers have to choose from at launch, with "not one" publisher having confirmed that a deal with Apple to distribute its content is in place.

Well if this is the case then it has settled my indecision.
If there are no titles apart from the free Project Gutenburg content then there is no way I'll be buying an iPad (anytime soon).

This is a great pity.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
It seems the way to buy books will be trough using American iTunes gift cards. Hope they don't block out people by IP, all though I have a VPN for American services it would be an annoyance.

je_wallace

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
Budapest, Hungary
Amazon & BN's apps for international books

Well it's good that Amazon & BN have book apps for the iPad. I assume those 2 companies will get international distribution rights/contracts in place quickly. And then, of course, Apple will be forced into taking that market seriously also.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA

Agreed. 2 people in charge of getting deals with publishers from 6 entire countries (if not more)? And the launch is tomorrow? That's insane. Apple is apparently not serious at all about getting new books into its European iBookstore. The Gutenberg project is cool, but a lot of people want to read recent books that aren't in the public domain yet.

If that's how Apple treats the launch of a key aspect of the iPad, a major new product making headlines worldwide, we can only image what sort of effort they put into their "hobby" of :apple:TV...Hopefully they will get their act together and get European publishers on board sooner rather than later.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I already have an iPad in the uk and a uk iTunes account. When I installed iBook yesterday it had Winnie the pooh straight away plus then I could get the Gutenberg books?
Am I the only one?

EDIT , I guess not, you posted that above while I was typing!

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
The US store doesnt have much more content anyway. If you want books, use the Amazon or BN apps.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
If there are no titles apart from the free Project Gutenburg content then there is no way I'll be buying an iPad (anytime soon).

This is a great pity.

And your other criteria for deciding whether or not to buy an iPad is if the wind were to change directions, then your decision would be no? You jest, right?

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
And your other criteria for deciding whether or not to buy an iPad is if the wind were to change directions, then your decision would be no? You jest, right?

You're mocking his criteria for spending hundreds of dollars? Have Mac fanboys no shame?

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Who knows really why except Apple (and they're not talking)... As far as your critique goes, you know zero of the dynamics that Apple faces in bringing their wares to a vast amount of different laws, economies, regs and customers. The challenge is immense and people should cut Apple some slack, especially when they don't have any facts (just conjecture on a rumors site).

What Apple has accomplished in a single decade is nothing short of a miracle and matched by no other company.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
You're mocking his criteria for spending hundreds of dollars? Have Mac fanboys no shame?

Have trolls nothing better to do?

10 negative iPhone posts in '07, one pro-Zune in '09, then a bunch on negative apple post in '10. Get a job, or is this your job?

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Whoa, hold on there pal. Let's not confuse Macintosh fans with iFad lovers. One group was born of anti-establishment idealism, the other is willingly fascist.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada

This is a great pity.
The iPad has free apps available for Amazon, Kobo, Barnes and Knoble etc....

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Who knows really why except Apple (and they're not talking)... As far as your critique goes, you know zero of the dynamics that Apple faces in bringing their wares to a vast amount of different laws, economies, regs and customers. The challenge is immense and people should cut Apple some slack, especially when they don't have any facts (just conjecture on a rumors site).

Spoken like a true Apple apologist.

A tiny bit of transparency by Apple would go a very long way.

What Apple has accomplished in a single decade is nothing short of a miracle and matched by no other company.

I'm no fan but Google's accomplishments in the past decade exceed Apple's. Google didn't even exist twelve years ago.

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta

It would seem to my that buying an iPad based only on the concept of being able to read books is a stupid reason to buy an iPad. Actually buying an iPad based only on ONE feature that it has is a poor decision. Buying an iPad is about everything it can do. I do agree with not buying one because it lacks on major feature though that is a primary feature that you were planning on using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.