International Imessaging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apantoja5527, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Apantoja5527 macrumors newbie

so I'm in an imessage group chat with about 17 other people. Some of them live in other countries (England and Australia), and I live in the US. When texting in the group chat when not on wifi, will it add extra to my phone bill? Or will it be just like text any iphone from my own country?

2. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Im no expert on this, but it shouldn't bill you unless you're sending via SMS. iMessage is sent to a central server, like a Messenger. That's why you can send a message not just on your phone but your iMac as well.

3. skyperbon, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015

skyperbon macrumors regular

I usually chat with my friends and family who stay in the US (I stay in India) via iMessage and they don't incur any extra cost for texting and neither do I. iMessage works using your phones data connection.

Just make sure that the "Send as SMS" option is disabled under Settings -> Messages, to avoid unintentional charges when data network is poor.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If the message bubbles are blue, then there is no additional charge. iMessage is treated as data, and it doesn't matter where that data ends up, it's all treated the same way.

If the message bubbles are green, then you could be in trouble. :)