International iPhone 3G News Roundup

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

News continues to trickle out from various carriers about rate plans and prices for the upcoming iPhone 3G. We've compiled the most recent items here:

- Telia in Sweden has posted rate plans, with only 100MB of data transfer on the lowest plan.
- Mac4ever posted details of the iPhone 3G prices in France.
- Mobistar in Belgium will announce the launch date for the iPhone on July 4th. Expected to be launched in summer.
- T-Mobile in Germany allows you to sign up for an iPhone.
- Vodafone in India is accepting pre-registrations for the iPhone 3G.
- Comcel in Colombia has posted a splash page for the iPhone.

Article Link

aaronazevedo

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
San Diego, CA
As fully expected AT&T has not announced anything. Fully indicative of the crappy customer service we can epxect from a too big, slow, greedy, stupid American company. Again, too bad apple is saddled with these idiots.

I'm not being prejudice. I would say the same about any US based cell company and their customer service and rate plans. Its all backwards in this country. The rest of world actually has a much better handle on cellular service and providing competitive customer service. The fact that I have to switch carriers to get the phone I want is just ridiculous!

bernye

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
Portugal

Here's the status on Portugal:

Vodafone accepting pre-orders here

Optimus (in partnership with Orange) has a splash page and is also accepting pre-orders.

Yuppi

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
I am very disappointed from the Telia offering. Seriously, 100MB? I would pay at most 150 SEK for that per month. And I bet it will be a lot more because of the subsidiaries. So I see myself buying the uncontracted version and go with a telenor 99+199 tarif. This way I can still use my N95 to surf using the notebook...
(I don't care too much about voice/sms or coverage outside stockholm)

DanielJvdBerg

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
The Netherlands.
T-Mobile in The Netherlands cheapest plan 29,95 eu for what we know at least 2048kbps down/384kbps up. Unlimited data. And 1400 Wi-Fi hotspots, plus visual voicemail.

Pretty attractive:D!

RoboCop001

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Oh crap, Rogers is going to be like Telia with the data aren't they....

They better not!

Please! Lords of Kobol, hear us!!!!!!!!!!! HEAR US!!!!!!

Or I'm going to call Rogers and be like...
This is the Commander. As of this moment....... we are at war.

....... except that some of the words will be mumbled, have voice breaks and be whispered so they'll ask me to repeat what I just said.......

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
The most attractive features of iPhone are web-related, and those are also the best selling points - so the reasonably priced data plan is needed. However, Telia Sweden data plan is laughable. 100-1000MB?!?! I want to use those web-related features of iPhone without fearing that they cost too much, no way I'm gonna get iPhone with those plans. Apple should have demanded reasonably priced unlimited data plans from operators, because it's also important for Apple that people use the web-related features of iPhone (AppStore etc).

MathiasMag

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
Telia data is limited when used over what the plan allows

The most attractive features of iPhone are web-related, and those are also the best selling points - so the reasonably priced data plan is needed. However, Telia Sweden data plan is laughable. 100-1000MB?!?! I want to use those web-related features of iPhone without fearing that they cost too much, no way I'm gonna get iPhone with those plans. Apple should have demanded reasonably priced unlimited data plans from operators, because it's also important for Apple that people use the web-related features of iPhone (AppStore etc).
Apart from the question what the idea is behind posting plans with no prices for phone or plan, is their data really that bad. The most you may per day if you use more data is 9 SEK per day or 270 SEK per month ($45). It will of course be less as you are unlikely to use all your allowed bandwidth the first day and you may not use enough to reach the max every day. So if the plan is low enough, it seems like this could still end up with a reasonable cost. It is however funny that they don't have an unlimited plan when they clearly have limited what you'd pay if you used data without a plan.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

News continues to trickle out from various carriers about rate plans and prices for the upcoming iPhone 3G. We've compiled the most recent items here:

- Telia in Sweden has posted rate plans, with only 100MB of data transfer on the lowest plan.
- Mac4ever posted details of the iPhone 3G prices in France.
- Mobistar in Belgium will announce the launch date for the iPhone on July 4th. Expected to be launched in summer.
- T-Mobile in Germany allows you to sign up for an iPhone.
- Vodafone in India is accepting pre-registrations for the iPhone 3G.
- Comcel in Colombia has posted a splash page for the iPhone.

Article Link

Rogers

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...mepage-_-ON-_-English-_-www.rogers.com/iphone

attila

macrumors 6502a
I am very disappointed from the Telia offering. Seriously, 100MB? I would pay at most 150 SEK for that per month. And I bet it will be a lot more because of the subsidiaries. So I see myself buying the uncontracted version and go with a telenor 99+199 tarif. This way I can still use my N95 to surf using the notebook...
(I don't care too much about voice/sms or coverage outside stockholm)
I would find 100 mb sufficent, actually, since I am at about 50 MB after two months. OK, it's GPRS :p The middle plan is 250 MB and I think I'll stick with that one.

steelie

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2004
“Canadian iPhone buyers face long lock-ins…”

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/06/23/tech-iphone.html

Note the info near the bottom: “The long contract may be an effort by Rogers to lock up customers before new cellphone carriers launch in Canada in the aftermath of an ongoing government auction of wireless airwaves, currently in its late stages.”

I had no idea… perhaps my contract expiring next March ain’t so bad after all…

MacBRZ

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
In Brazil: http://www.claro.com.br/portal/saib...a=526.0&flash=/StaticFiles/Flash/iphone2b.swf

"Claro" is America Movil around here. The nice flash animation tells iPhone is gonna be available soon and invites you to leave your e-mail address for further information. Rumor says the launch is gonna be on August.

It also asks how much you pay monthly in case you are on any other carrier. Like... "we don't wanna you to put your cheap hands on this beauty". :D

I'm really curious to see the iPhone around here since it's illegal to lock cellphones. All cellphones are obligated to work on any carrier. How Apple and the carriers are gonna handle this it's still a mystery.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
I'm really curious to see the iPhone around here since it's illegal to lock cellphones. All cellphones are obligated to work on any carrier. How Apple and the carriers are gonna handle this it's still a mystery.
Everybody "claims" that their country "doesn't allow" simlock or "must provide" simlocking codes.

So far with the iphone launch worldwide --- they are all proven wrong.

GenericUsername

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
Astoria (NYC), NY
Everybody "claims" that their country "doesn't allow" simlock or "must provide" simlocking codes.

So far with the iphone launch worldwide --- they are all proven wrong.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but officially unlocked first-generation iPhones were available, eventually, in France and Belgium, at least.

Donaldini

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but officially unlocked first-generation iPhones were available, eventually, in France and Belgium, at least.
France offered them as far as I know.
But Belgium will only sell their first iPhones this summer. The past year more than 15.000 Belgians were said to already be using a hacked iPhone from the US or other countries.

Belgium does indeed have a law that forbids Tying. And I have not heard or seen any SIM-locked phones over here. All phones you buy from any carrier are completely compatible with other carriers.

We shall see what Mobistar is going to do on July 4th when they will make their intentions public.
I've heard rumors about people sending mails to Mobistar and got the reply that Belgium is 'probably' going to launch together with France (July 17th).

We'll see ... :)

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
Still no pre-orders for Ireland until July 1st.

O2 have not announced if they will support PrePay in Ireland, which could be controversial, seeing as people in the Northern Ireland will be able to buy them from day one.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
This is not iPhone specific but... Vodafone NZ announced a new "casual" Internet data rate. You get charged $1 (NZD) for the day. You get only 10MB and then you pay $1 per each MB thereafter. They say this is to make Internet usage "much more affordable." I'd certainly be switching 3G off at those prices. :mad: The state of mobile Internet in New Zealand is truly pathetic.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
France had the first gen iphone --- completely unlocked for 750 euro ($1,200 US).

Not much of a consumer protection law when the only people benefitting it is rich people.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Belgium does indeed have a law that forbids Tying. And I have not heard or seen any SIM-locked phones over here. All phones you buy from any carrier are completely compatible with other carriers.
The Belgium anti-bundling law had just been through an appeal hearing at the European Court of Justice on June 18. Judgment is expected to be that the Belgium law is not compatible to EC 2005 directives.

If it wasn't that the Belgium government is such a mess (can't even pass a budget) --- they would have repeal the law a long time ago.

wiseguy

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
Rogers 30$-300MB

Oh crap, Rogers is going to be like Telia with the data aren't they....

They better not!

Please! Lords of Kobol, hear us!!!!!!!!!!! HEAR US!!!!!!

Or I'm going to call Rogers and be like...
This is the Commander. As of this moment....... we are at war.

....... except that some of the words will be mumbled, have voice breaks and be whispered so they'll ask me to repeat what I just said.......
Nobody heard about the new data package from Rogers: 30$-300MB, 60$-1GB
I took the 300MB two days ago, there's no info about it anywhere, call them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.