International Japanese feature

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ninja-Mage, May 1, 2009.

1. Ninja-Mage macrumors newbie

Ninja-Mage

Hi, I recently came upon the discovery of the international feature on my mac, and i've been using the hiragana/katakana typing assistant, the one that will autotranslate english letters to either of the two forms of writing. But i'm wondering is there anyway to turn off the feature in which it will auto translate certain characters to kanji?

Please help, thanks so much :)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It should only translate it to kanji if you hit the space bar while typing in hiragana. If you hit enter while there's the gray underline under the kana, it'll use those characters. I use it daily.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yep, just hit return instead of space. If you're just starting out writing in kana this can trip you up, since Japanese is usually written without using spaces, with the distributed kanji and punctuation serving to differentiate words. It's hard (or impossible) to read kana-only without spaces, though, so if you "just type" you'll end up kicking in the automatic kanji substitution instead of getting a space.

You need to get into the habit of hitting return-space instead of just space. Either that, or learn enough kanji that you can muddle through using it by copy-pasting into a dictionary to check that you're getting the one you want.

Side note that even some Japanese typists don't realize: If you want to make sure you get katakana without having to rely on hitting space and having it automatically substituted for a loan word (say, biiru), you can just hold down shift--much faster than using the menu to switch to all-katakana input.

Also, to get sub-characters (mainly the small tsu used to mark double consonants--not sure what it's officially called), type an "x" before it. So xtsu gets you a mini-tsu. "xa" will give you a mini-a, such as when writing "fa" as "fu" + mini "a."

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

You can also get these in regular typing, just double the consonant and a small tsu should appear. For ふぁ you can just write fa, with the other combinations in the same way (though all are not as obvious, like でぃ where you have to write dhi).