International Movers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aricher, May 16, 2007.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have a friend who is moving from Chicago, Illinois to Gavle, Sweden at the end of August. He has an apartmentload of things to bring with him - books, clothes, electronics, CDs, furniture, etc.

Does anyone know of any international movers that are dependable, affordable and safe (little to no breakage/decent delivery time/no thievery)?

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm pretty sure moving internationally usually involves putting all of your stuff in a shipping container and sending it across the pond in a shipping container via cargo ship. I would assume that people breaking in to a shipping container would be pretty uncommon.

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

If that's the case I think the afford-ability will come into question, plus this shipping time is kind of high.

I know there's at least one demi that has moved 'cross the pond, that person may be able to help you out a bit more.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Not as uncommon as you would think, and anyway the question is also about dependability etc. Tough question because it doesn't just depend on the company here but also the company in Sweden that they link up with. For that reason, your friend would be best off getting advice from people who have moved to Sweden specifically.
    Also, if your friend can afford it, I'd recommend having packers do the work for him. Not only does it take some edge off of the already stressful ordeal of moving, but they are typically better than you'd ever be! If not, make sure he packs boxes as if the shippers will try to balance several elephants on top of them.

5. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

Shipping times are not as much of a concern as price - my friend is a University doctorate student/instructor. They don't get paid very well whatsoever. He's living part-time in the US and part-time in Sweden and is moving there permanently.

6. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

If he lives there part time, wouldn't he have furniture and such over there as well?

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I would make some sort of IKEA joke, but I think I'll spare you the horror.

This interests me. I've always wondered what exactly would be involved in moving stuff overseas.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Air Cargo/Freight companies are available. For example, SAS Cargo handles business and personal freight imports and exports for Sweden. We've used Challenge Air routed through Miami in and out of Colombia, Costa Rica and Ecuador, but that's for South America.

Most of these types of companies will deliver door to door (though customs will be necessary) and are flexible with use of trunks, suitcases and duffles. Renting a container, either 20' or 40' will be very costly by comparison, but then that might not be a problem for your friend.

That said, I'm sure Chicago has a good many of these companies and offices available for what your needs will be.

9. paul451 macrumors newbie

My family have done it several times.

There are really two options:

Air freight: very expensive but also very fast

Shipping Containers by Sea and truck: More cost effective, but can be very slow.

Now it depends how much stuff your friend is shipping over and how much he is is willing to pay, does his work pay for relocation?

We have shipped mainly through shipping container but used air once. With the shipping containers, if you get on the first transatlantic ship and go fast through customs it can take just 1 month, however customs can slow it down allot and its often hard to know when they will deliver it. We have found that you have to count at least a month by ship even though some companies say they can do it in less.

If you don't have much stuff you don't want to get a whole container, but often you can share a container, that is sometimes impractical if your on a tight deadline, but it can be very useful, as you would be surprised how much you can ship in one.

A good international moving company and that does a good job in the USA is Alliance Pickfords, they have partnerships in most major cities so your stuff gets handled well.

When shipping in a container or by air, make sure you take all things like pictures and important documents with you and travel with them, sometimes these containers fall off the ships and though most movers provide insurance there are things that simply cannot be replaced.

Hope that helps a little.

Paul

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Any nationally know mover is also a reliable international mover. You live in Chicago, that's where Allied Van Lines is headquartered. No matter, though, just call an agent for them, or Mayflower or United Van Lines. They are the top three and will have the best reputation, as well as the best methods, advice, and pricing.

11. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

Thanks all. I've forwarded your suggestions on. My friend hammered out his budget the other night and will be approaching movers over the next week. What should help his cause is that he's leaving all furniture behind as his wife is already living in a condo in Sweden.