International Page

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by oclor, May 6, 2008.

1. oclor macrumors regular

Here's an idea. Just like how there is Page 2, there should be an International page. This would include everything related to when the iphone is coming in what country, who's selling it, and whatever else apple is doing outside the US.

It seems like these days half the news on this site is about the iPhone in a different country. To be honest, I don't care at all about what's happening somewhere else with the iPhone since it's available here. It just seems like this news is clogging up the site. A separate page would be much better IMO.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I agree, less iPhone news.;) As for international stories, I don't think there is enough news or interest to warrant it.

3. oclor thread starter macrumors regular

It just seems that lately there have been a lot of international news that I don't think anyone in the US cares about/is affected by. For instance, here are some of the headline you'll find on the front page:

Both Telecom Italia and Vodafone to Offer iPhone in Italy

Vodafone to Deliver iPhone in Australia, Italy and Other Countries

T-Mobile Confirms 3G iPhone in Austria?

Rogers to Bring iPhone to Canada

You're right, this is probably not enough to make an international page out of, but they do probably belong in the iPhone blog. I'm all for putting pictures/news about an upcoming product but when it's stuff happening in a different country, I don't think anyone here cares...

4. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

The site & forum has a significant proportion of users from outside the US, so I think it's slightly narrow-minded to assume that no-one here cares. There are many stories posted to the front page that will apply to only a subsection of users, and quite often they come in batches - for example, stories about the US Apple Stores when they first opened, or even just stories about software updates that not everyone will be interested in.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

But there are plenty of others who do care. MR has a very international community and these stories are important to many different types of people.

In fact, even though I'm an American, I like to see where the iPhone is popping up next or when a new store is opening up somewhere in the UK (or wherever).

Even though it doesn't immediately affect me, it's nice to know for reference's sake.
    Well one doesn't have to read every single story. That's why stories have articles. It's just like with any newspaper. You are free to gloss over the stories of little interest to you and focus on those which you do care about.

And, if you would like to find a particular story from the front page, you can always search for it. I don't see what's getting "clogged."

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

And I don't care so much about all the stuff that happens in the US, but I don't complain about that.

MacRumors is a very international friendly site, and shouldn't be assumed to be US-centric. That's just silly.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Yes, I agree with having an international page. We can put all the US news on it and the rest of us can carry on reading the front page, full of interesting local stories, and now without all the tedious US news on it.

Certainly most MR people aren't interested in what goes on in the USA.

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

RedTomato: Well done, sir.

oclor: The internet is a global phenomenon. Get over it.

irmongoose