Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonisign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
I'm trying to connect my US Macbook pro to a power outlet in Germany. I purchased the appropriate wall outlet adapter but no power converters. As I understand, the 85W adapter that comes with the macbook pro is rated for 100-240V and 50-60Hz so this shouldn't be a problem. However, when I plug in my computer the entire case seems to vibrate when I touch my finger to it. Although it doesn't seem to be hurting the computer, I can't imagine this is a good thing. Do I need to change some setting to get the computer to accept power at different voltages and frequencies? Thanks for your help.

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
There is no setting on the Macbook or Macbook Pro that would allow you to change voltages, etc. It is all within the power adapter. As long as the frequency of the power is matching what it states in the specifications of the block, it should be compatible.
From what you have described, it sounds like you are having grounding issues with your laptop. Does the adaptor have a grounding pin somewhere on the plug? If you keep using the laptop, you can get a nasty shock. Sort of like static electricity build up.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
can you use the same powerblock to charge in ifferent countries with an adapter plug.
Im going to Canada soon, would i need to buy a canadian charger block or just use a converter plug on the plug?

Thanks

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
The adapter is rated up to 240V, like you said so that's nothing to worry about.

However, it seems like the plug you're plugged into isn't grounding correctly. I would try using a different plug in the house and see if the same thing happens. If it still does it then I would get a hold of Apple and try having them ship you a new one.

Goodluck.

jonisign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for pointing out the ground

Thanks for your help. The issue was definitely that the adapter wasn't reaching the ground on these German outlets. If you're traveling to europe just watch out for this since the Apple world travelers kit doesn't appear to reach the ground depending on what country you're in. The way they are spaced the ground is not a socket but rather side clips around the edge of the outlet in Germany. The way I resolved this was by buying a german adapter to fit the UK adapter from the world travel kit adapter since these all have the ground built in. I'm pretty sure the adapter would be the same for the US and Canada so you should be fine. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.