International pricing of Mac products

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zappster, May 31, 2010.

1. zappster macrumors newbie

zappster

This is not so much question as a comment. I'm from Canada, and the prices of Mac products are generally more here than in the US. For instance, any iMac will run $100 more, and the iPad is $50 more. About 3 years ago, I could understand that, as the Canadian dollar was about 20 cents below the US dollar.

However, today the Canadian and US dollars are almost at par, separated by mere pennies. How can Apple justify this? The profit is great for them, but consumers are ripped off. How much more does this affect countries outside of North America? Is there a way (honest way preferred) to get American prices?

Does this affect whether or not you'll buy Apple products? I think the product is superior, but think we deserve to pay the same as those in the US.

My 2 cents.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you live near the boarder you could drive over to an Apple Store and purchase a Mac at a reduced price. If this is not feasible, and you don not want to break the law then I guess you are stuck with inflated prices. Much the same boat over here, in the UK.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In here, Macs cost +400$ more than in US.... You're still very lucky for not paying huge premium. Anyway, every country has its own taxes etc you have to pay which will of course increase the price as well.

For example, base 15" MBP costs 1799$ and 1799€, that's almost 500$ difference!

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's the cost of doing business. You can't just compare foreign exchange rates when setting international prices.

5. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

True to a certain extent but Apple does want to make more than anyone else don't they? Just look at stuff in their store .. you know printers and ipod hi-fi's etc .. they cost a lot more than other retailers in the same country. Why? If they're not competitive there and demonstratively so it's clear that they have no intention of competitive pricing with their computers. Same goes with iTunes pricing. No way is that down to market variables; it's what the market will bear. This is always at the forefront of Apples thinking. And they hold onto like a lion around an antelopes neck!

6. EasyJW macrumors member

7. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

It's not bad if compared to Brazil.

Hi there.

Currency conversion runs at about $1=R$2 (a US Dollar = two Brazilian Reais)

In other words, if you look at Apple's Brazilian Store , you'll see that consumers over there could buy two computers in US with the SAME money.

And yes, it's all about taxes.