International sim card?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by limited8721, Jun 8, 2010.

1. limited8721 macrumors newbie

Hey I am leaving the country at the end of the summer and am getting an international sim card. I wanted to know if it's smart of me to get the new iphone 4g with the new micro sim and try to cut it down to micro sim size, or just go international with AT&T or stick with my old 3G which is pretty crappy for the half a year i'll be out of the country.

Please let me know what you guys think I should do?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The iPhone 4 comes with a microsim.
    You will need an adapter to use it in other cellphones.

3. turugara macrumors regular

By the end of the summer the iPhone will most likely be jailbroken and unlocked. You should be fine with cutting down the Sim to a MicroSim. Realize, however, that it'll be more difficult to use that MicroSim in another phone unless you buy one of those plastic adaptor things.

4. Honeyroo macrumors newbie

I know this doesn't directly answer your question but, since your question applies to iPhones too I thought I would ask here. Has anyone heard of a product by iphonetrip.com? They have SIM cards you can put in your locked iPhone for international data usage (unlimited). They also rent put iPhones and ipads for international travel. There is some mention of the company on the apple forum. What do you all think?

5. limited8721 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that should work.

7. limited8721 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. deckwalker macrumors member

Cutting the SIM for my iPad worked fine

I live in SE Asia and have an iPhone 3Gs and an iPad 3G. My 3Gs I bought in Thailand because they sell them officially unlocked - but they're very expensive.

If you want to go with the iPhone 4 keep in mind that you'll need to unlock it. My original iPhone was locked to AT&T and it was a pain in the butt while overseas to keep unlocking it every time new software came out. Our internet here is really slow (I pay $150 a month for a 1MBps ADSL line) so downloading the necessary jailbreak/unlock files is a time consuming endeavor. Just keep that in mind when deciding what phone to take with you.

As far as using a MicroSim I cut it myself using a knife and scissors and used this web link. It ended up being really easy - but it obviously won't go back into a normal phone.

Good luck.

9. limited8721 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your post and as for the upgrade, I'll be there for about 6 months or so, so when I get the phone here I can unlock it here and use the sim card, and not upgrade it (even if an upgrade comes out by that time). On my iphone 3G now I haven't upgraded to the latest software because that would mean redoing everything all over again and I do not have the time for that.

As for the meat cleaver cutting up a sim, it doesn't leave any stray edges, even if your using a not as sharp scissor?