Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artalliance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
In the cool neighborhood of LA
I know that I can send SMS via ichat. So far so good, but..

Can I send an international SMS (to Germany from the US) through ichat?
The +49..... country code does not seem to work. It just tells me user offline.

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
There are options, but none through iChat. First, GizmoSMS allows to send SMS to quite a few countries for free. Some people on their forums have complained about messages not being delivered, but I haven't used it myself as it doesn't cover countries I'm interested in. I trust that company in general and use their Gizmo Project software as an alternative to Skype.

What I do use and like is the smsmac widget. I like it for two important reasons (for me): (1) I can get replies to my email, so I don't pay for incoming messages (does not apply to US recipients - bummer), (2) integration with Address Book contacts, so I don't accidentally mistype a number.

Another way I'm hoping will be improving is through callwave. The problem with them is the Dashboard widget doesn't work for me under Leopard, and while they mentioned on their blog last month about adding the reply to email option, they've been quiet about it since.

There's also sendsmsnow with some free countries to text to. I have no experience with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.