International Student - Apple Store USA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deagle, Jun 8, 2007.

1. deagle macrumors newbie

Hi everybody.

I'm a student from denmark and i'm heading for the US in a couple of weeks.

My question: Is it possible for me to buy a Macbook pro from an apple store with educational discount? I have a international student card (ISIC) aswell as a student ID from my university in Denmark?

2. amoda macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine did that before but I'm not sure if it was offical policy or if the cashier just gave him a break. I would expect that an ISIC and your student ID should be fine. I'd show him/her the ISIC first though and if they want more verifcation then show them the school id.

3. deagle thread starter macrumors newbie

Please reply if you have any experiences with using an international student ID in am apple store.

4. Goldenboy macrumors newbie

Hi deagle

It is possible, I'm from denmark too, and took my bachelors degree in Boston, MA. I bought the old iBook g4 from a us apple retail store, and all I had to show was my ISEC id.

One thing for your consideration though.. - It is of course ALOT cheaper (also check out apple care, its aprox. half price) but it is impossibly to get a danish keyboard when you return, and after a while in dk, its just annoying not to have æøå..

I had apple care with my ibook, and "unfortunately" my keyboard stopped working when I was in dk. I sent it to service at "humac" and they exchanged they keyboard to a danish one.

Hoorraay!

Good luck buying!

5. deagle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Goldenboy...i have already contacted Humac and a danish keyboard for a macbook pro costs around 1200 KR...

6. Goldenboy macrumors newbie

Hehe, okai, they might have changed the price then. When it was an issue for me, the price was "FROM" 3500 dkr. :) :)

Good luck with your new macbook pro!

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yesh its possible but i dont think its official becaus when i did it (UK student), the sales rep had to contact the supervisor, who then said it isn't policy but she'll gimme a break. I used my ID card though...no ISIC.

8. mkgm1 macrumors regular

I hope the OP doesn't mind if I ask, but has anyone had similar success buying from an Apple store in China, using an International Student ID?

9. deagle thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, i will give it a try when I arrive at New York...i'm staying in the US for 5 weeks and I will be visiting New York, L.A, San fransisco and San diego, so it should be possible to find an apple store that will accept my student ID.

10. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

As long as you are enrolled fulltime in a US college, you are eligible for student pricing- that includes both international and local students.

I know tons of people who have done that (myself included)- with complete success.

edit: You will need to present a school ID from the US university.

11. mkgm1 macrumors regular

I might have misunderstood his point, but I think the OP is a student in Denmark, who wants to use an educational discount in the US - as opposed to being an international student at a US university.

12. deagle thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly...I'm a student at a danish University and I want to use the educational discount in the US.

13. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Whoops, my mistake. In this case, I am not sure about it. Could be possible, but I don't really know.

Again, sorry for creating any confusion!:eek:

14. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I'm from the US but when I was in England, a friend of mine (also from the US) successfully used his student discount in the Regent Street store...As long as you have and ID, you should be fine, I would think.

15. Goldenboy macrumors newbie

Okai, my brother just bought a MBP in the us, using his dansih student id from CBS. Although, at humac they want kr 2225.- (Inkl. moms) to change the keyboard layout to a danish one.

Still, best of luck.