International text charges when bring phone overseas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Nov 5, 2008.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

my friend went to Portugal his phone works there. I know I don't pay to send or recieve his texts but how much will he get charged to send to me?

He told me he only gets charged when he sends to me and no one else wouldntet charged for sending? He read it online anyone have info on this. He has AT&T here so when he went on vacatin to Portugal it's on vodafone.

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

When I took my AT&T phone to London, I was charged 50 cents to send a a message...and I *think* it was the same to receive, but it's been a while, so I forget.

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I think it is best to look at AT&T online for this one. So you can get accurate info. Or call.

4. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

only reason why I figure that it doesn't cost him to get my messages is because I'm still testing his US number so it wouldn't make much sense. Idk where to look on AT&T I tried. Someone help

5. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Call AT&T, that way, you'll have something to back it up, if they do charge you

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I rather someone from att.com but I can find anything on it. If AT&T.com has info on it I can save it and have written proof. Written proof is above anything any rep can tell me. Forall I know the rep can say something I can complain all they will say is. Idk who informed you but no that is wong and this... Is the rate.

Get what I'm saying

7. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

From AT&T Wireless

I dug through my account pages until I found this:

Sending an international text message from the U.S.:

It’s just $0.25 to send a text message from the U.S. to an international number. And for those who send text messages often to family or friends overseas, AT&T’s International Long Distance Text Messaging package includes 100 text messages sent from the U.S. for $9.99 a month. That’s as little as $0.10 per message sent! See below for pricing on messages received from an international number.
    You can add the international long distance text messaging package to your account online within myWireless Account by visiting Manage Features (logged in users only).

Sending an international text message from outside the U.S.:

When traveling outside the U.S., the charge for sending a text message to either a U.S. number or an international number is $0.50 per message sent.

Receiving an international text message:

Text messages that you receive from an international number will be billed one of two ways: 1) Deducted from your bucket of messages if you have a domestic messaging package (for example, Messaging Starter); or 2) Billed at the per use rate of $0.15 per text message.

8. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

So it is 50 cents for him to send to me. But I still don't get if he gets charged to get mine. Also. It can't be international to me cause I still txt his US number

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It doesn't matter that you're texting his US number, his number is outside the US so it's international and you get charged.

10. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

^ are u ****ing kidding me!!! i been texting him like crazy!!!

OMG! haha can someone please prove this. Cause it doesn't make sense. im not texting an international number.

11. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Receiving an international text message:

Text messages that you receive from an international number will be billed one of two ways: 1) Deducted from your bucket of messages if you have a domestic messaging package (for example, Messaging Starter); or 2) Billed at the per use rate of $0.15 per text message.

if this is true, then when he texts me from there it just uses my unlimited texting correct?

i dont think i pay to text him. it says if u text an international number. he doesn't have an international number.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

When he is in Portugal his phone is using an international carrier (Vodafone) so its the same as if it was an international number.

13. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

but nothing on att says carrier. it says international number.

where is the proof?

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

This is how it works. If you don't believe me wait until your bill comes or call ATT and ask them.

When he is overseas his number IS an international number.

15. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

^ i never called ATT to open my phone up to texting international. when he left to portugal he had to call and ask so that his phone would work there. Also before he called he was never able to text his cousin in portugal, casue his phone wasn't open to text internationally, after callling him adn his cousin were able to text. I never called to open mine up to texting internationally.

also i checked my data status and it doesn't say international next to it. wouldnt it have to?

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Call ATT and ask.

17. ilugram macrumors member

Wow people, its really simple.

Your friend will get charged for both sending and receiving text messages.

You won't, as far as you are concerned you are sending/receiving to/from a US number. The only charges you will get are your regular text charges (or if they are included in their plan, than nothing).

Your friend however will be paying through the roof

18. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

^ he knows he has to pay, but im just hoping i dont have to pay. thats all.

thats what i been trying to confirm. Idk where the person above got the info that since he is international. He isn't its a US number.

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If you want to know for sure just call ATT and ask.

20. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The interesting thing to keep in mind, though, is that even while he's overseas, a voice call to his number will be charged to the originator at the same rate as it would be if he were in his home calling area. The roaming receiver, on the other hand, will be paying a huge premium to receive the call.

Don't believe it? Hop into any payphone that is located within his normal home area, pop in a quarter (or whatever payphones use nowadays) and give him a call. The call will go through just like normal for an unlimited number of minutes. (Unlimited, at least, as far as the originating payphone is concerned. Your overseas buddy will be racking up the charges and will probably try to limit the length of the conversation.)

Or dial his number from a landline home phone located within your buddy's home calling area, without dialing 1 first. (Landline phone networks will never allow a long distance rate call to go through if you don't dial 1 first.) The call will go through just like normal.

When roaming internationally, the premium roaming rate paid by the traveler is what covers the extra costs involved.

21. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank u. That's what I been asking. Whether I pay or not. I know he pays to send idk if he pays to get. I well as long as I don't pay

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

There's no way for you to know that (other than asking your buddy). It depends on his text plan back in the US and how many texts he's already used-up this billing cycle.

Now, if he has an unlimited text plan in the US, then he shouldn't pay to RECEIVE. He will, however, always pay to SEND.

I travelled overseas recently - it was $0.50 for me to send a text. It didn't cost me anything extra to receive texts from the US - but that's because I already pay for an unlimited plan in the US.

23. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

if someone is in the US and just texting a regular US number whether that person is in the country or not, they just get charged regular texts rates.

only the person outside of the US gets charged.

24. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks so much. That's what me and him thought. That he only got charged to send. H has unlimited testing