Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

100806-htc_logo.jpg

As reported by Bloomberg, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) yesterday announced that it has agreed to investigate Apple's complaint against handset manufacturer HTC regarding alleged patent infringement. The complaint, filed one month ago, has been seen as an attack on Google's Android operating system, and while Google is not included in the complaint, it has said that it will stand behind HTC.
"By instituting this investigation, the USITC has not yet made any decision on the merits of the case," the agency said in a statement announcing the decision. Cupertino, California- based Apple claims that HTC is using Apple's proprietary iPhone technology in its phones without permission.
For its part, HTC has announced that it will "fully defend" itself against Apple's claims, noting its history of leadership and innovation in the mobile phone industry.

The ITC holds the power to ban imports of devices from companies found to be engaging in unfair business practices, including patent infringement. While the vast majority of such complaints are resolved before any import bans are applied, the ITC complaints serve as a popular tool for companies to address these issues in a venue that moves at a faster pace than the traditional legal system.

Article Link: International Trade Commission Votes to Investigate Apple's Patent Complaint Against HTC

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The ITC has agreed to *investigate* the matter (as in, Apple's bullying tactics.) That's all. There has been no decision rendered.

ajones46

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Monroe, Michigan
I think this is kind of lame. Instead of beating out the competition (which they already are), it looks as though Apple is just trying to eliminate them.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I think this is kind of lame. Instead of beating out the competition (which they already are), it looks as though Apple is just trying to eliminate them.

That's what Apple's been doing lately: attempting to stifle innovation because they can't bring their iPhone up to date with the competition. My next phone will definitely be an HTC. I'll take an open platform over Apple's lock-in any day.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
HTC['s] history of leadership and innovation in the mobile phone industry.

I don't understand what innovation HTC thinks they bring to the table. It runs Google's OS and (allegedly) Apple's patent. All they do is provide a generic little box of predictable and unimaginative specification, whack Android on it and flog it off. It's like Dell or Acer claiming to be innovative. It does seem like Apple is suing Google without suing Google though. I guess that's what you get for being nothing more than just an OEM...

layte

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
That's what Apple's been doing lately: attempting to stifle innovation because they can't bring their iPhone up to date with the competition. My next phone will definitely be an HTC. I'll take an open platform over Apple's lock-in any day.

The first April Fool's that has made me chuckle.

Bravo sir.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

So Elan, Nokia and other companies that are suing Apple for nearly the same are lame too? Just curious.

Apple has to fight to protect its IP. That's the bottom line, that's our legal system for you. If companies don't fight, they lose their stuff.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007

Seriously? As we speak, Apple is on the receiving end of several patent cases yet when they finally put together a portfolio and make an offensive play you get upset at them? I suppose they should just quit the cell phone game and let the big boys like Nokia run the show.

You may not like it, but this is how the game is played. The rules were in place long before Apple jumped in. All of the players have spent millions on patent war-chests that they use for leverage.

Besides, for all we know Apple is doing this to pressure HTC into a cross licensing agreement order to continue innovation in the market.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA

Dude, what are you talking about?? Apple iPhone is the only innovative and revolutionary product on the market. HTC is a little parasitic company who just copies everything that Apple creates. If it wasn't for Apple - we would all still be using Nokia sliders with WAP browsers. Apple invented smartphones, touchscreens and multitouch. I mean really.. everyone knows that.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Dude, what are you talking about?? Apple iPhone is the only innovative and revolutionary product on the market. HTC is a little parasitic company who just copies everything that Apple doesn't. If it wasn't for Apple - we would all still be using Nokia sliders with WAP browsers. Apple invented smartphones, touchscreens and multitouch. Everyone else just steals.

I hate April 1.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

Oh this is going to be a fun day. :D

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I hate April 1.

Sorry cmaier.. I hope you can wait one extra day to parade your unparalleled knowledge of technology and patent law. The unwashed masses of MacRumors will remain ignorant to the intricacies of patent litigation for one day longer ;)

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Dude, what are you talking about?? Apple iPhone is the only innovative and revolutionary product on the market. HTC is a little parasitic company who just copies everything that Apple creates. If it wasn't for Apple - we would all still be using Nokia sliders with WAP browsers. Apple invented smartphones, touchscreens and multitouch. I mean really.. everyone knows that.

I know that this comment will get plenty of snarky reply's, but there is a lot of truth in it. The cell phone market had stagnated before Apple literally revolutionized what we think of as a smartphone. Android, Web-OS, and Windows Mobile 7 Series are all a direct result of Apples innovation. Sure all of the core technologies existed before the iPhone, but it took Apple to give the industry the kick in the pants that UI was at least as important as Hardware.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Patents and protecting intellectual property does not stifle innovation it forces it. Patenting an idea forces another company to come up with "new" ideas to solve the same problem, isn't that what we the consumer want. Apple is not using the ITC to ban the imports because HTC wont allow it, they are using the ITC to force a resolution quickly.

I am no patent attorney but I don't think any one would argue that when the iPhone was released no other smartphone bore any resemblance to it, now they all do. It may not be patent infringement but its some sore of coping and I would be pissed too.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
I haven't seen the details of Apple's complaint. But even with $30-40 billion in the bank, I don't think Apple's going around suing people willy-nilly. If I sound ignorant, please don't flame me. But how has Apple stifled competition?

WebOS, Symbian, Windows Mobile, Maemo, Bada OS & Blackberry OS, to name some. If Apple is stifling competition, it certainly has done a shoddy job.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Patents and protecting intellectual property does not stifle innovation it forces it. Patenting an idea forces another company to come up with "new" ideas to solve the same problem, isn't that what we the consumer want. Apple is not using the ITC to ban the imports because HTC wont allow it, they are using the ITC to force a resolution quickly.

I am no patent attorney but I don't think any one would argue that when the iPhone was released no other smartphone bore any resemblance to it, now they all do. It may not be patent infringement but its some sore of coping and I would be pissed too.

While I agree with what you're saying as a whole, patents itself plus IP does not always force or bring innovations. What about the lawsuits against Linux? What about the breast cancer genes? They can slow down or halt the innovation completely.

There are a lot of companies despite being wrong, completely not getting involved in Linux because they are afraid of getting sued by MS and other companies. Women can't get a cheaper test or a different source of testing for their breast cancer because a company patented the genes that's responsible for indicting the possibility of breast cancers and they refuse to allow other companies to test for those genes.

scottyrad

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Oi!

You do realize that Apple is a corporation, not a person right? They're not your best friend, and you are investing way too much emotion into this if you're concerned about them "bullying" or being "too aggressive" etc. They're a publicly traded company, protecting their investments and market. That's just business, they're not a person, so stop trying to make them one.

Finally, why do people keep on claiming that Apple is stifling innovation when other companies are copying it?! The copy cats (and there are SO MANY iPhone copy cats) are not original, so where is the screaming at them to innovate?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.