International Travel Adapter help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i-sidd, Nov 12, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I need suggestion as to which travel adapter to buy for international travel.

I saw the one the apples sells, but trying to find something cheaper that works.

I need it for macbook 2007 and iphone 4s.

If cheap ones are not good or reliable then I will buy the apple travel kit, but if something cheaper is as good, then I don't mind saving a little.

2. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

Just get the apple one. It will auto convert the wattage for the adapter you already have. I bought it when I went to Europe it was totally worth the investment. The duckheads switch out with no issues.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Both your MacBook and iPhone chargers should be able to handle 110-240 volts, you can check that by reading the label on them. All you need is one of these (depending on where you're going) and, if you want, an American power strip to save you from having to buy more than one adapter. That's what I did for about a year without any problems.

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

That is correct, I always have trouble proving to other Americans that's all you need. During my time in Korea, Japan and Iraq I saw people buying transformers to change their voltage when the power supply that came with most computers did that work for them.

5. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I will be going to India, so I guess its 220 v.

So if I get the cheap one like linked above by ergdegdeg that should work.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What a waste of money. A $3 plug adapter bought at RadioShack does the exact same thing.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

The adapters don't convert anything; they are only power plug adapters. All modern computers in the last 10 years accept input from 50/60 120/220 with no problems. I was in Europe, in Spain, on business way back in 1993, and we had our laptop with us and we just took a cord from an unused PC and plugged it into the power supply for the laptop and all was well.