International travel adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dukebound85, May 15, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Does anyone have any recommendations on quality devices. I will be going from US to Austria.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

most adapters are just that, simply changing the shape of the plug and not messing with the voltage. it's like saying can i get a recommendation for a quality extension cord. they're pretty much all the same.
    power converters aren't really necessary anymore.

Pretty much all modern electronics will work worldwide, you'll want to check the plug on your devices as long as it says "90-240 Volts 50/60 Hz" you'll be fine. anything with a "wall wart" should be ok, but check before plugging it in.

for things with a large power draw, like hair dryers and curling irons, you'll want a dual voltage version, or buy one at your destination if you need it. as a transformer that can handle that amount of amperage would be unwieldy.

looking on amazon there are several that are under $10, any of those would work, if you travel a lot, i might go more expensive, but for the average trip for a couple of weeks, no need to go more expensive.

just remember to take a power strip with US plugs, so you can plug in multiple things at the same time.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All you need for your Apple electronics is a plug adapter, but it's not completely clear what you're asking for.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

just something to charge my ipad over there and possibly a laptop if I take it.

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Plug bug by Twelvesouth and any cheap adaptor.

6. Ianarchy macrumors newbie

I travel around quite a bit as well and like everyone else says you can just buy a simple adapter to change the shape of the plug. Should be available at most electronic stores for just a few bucks.

Just double check on the bottom of the main plug (the big square bit) it should say 100-240V. That means it can take American power sources (110V) up to European power sources (240V) and anything in between, so you should be fine.